Subject: FW: S/MIME and X.400

From: "Hegde, Vijaykumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:11:40 +0530

Hi,

I currently use XAPI to build X.400 messages. How do I plug in a CMS object
in the  X.400 message using XAPI ?? ( i think its not possible at this
time).  I have listed the sequence of calls one would use to create an IPM
using XAPI. What could be the possible sequence of om_create,om_put calls
for creating s/mime messages ? 

|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|            IPM                     |    	S/MIME Message           |
|------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
|OM_CREATE (MH_C_SUBMITTED_MESSAGE)	 |OM_CREATE (MH_C_SUBMITTED_MESSAGE)
|           
|------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
|OM_CREATE(IPM_CONTENT)	             |binary content ??                  |
|------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
|OM_PUT(IM_BODY into CONTENT)        |how to plug-in CMS into content ?  |

|------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
|OM_PUT(IM_C_CONTENT into MESSAGE)   |how to plug in binary content      |
|                                    | into message                      |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Thanks,
Vijay Hegde

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: Bonatti, Chris [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 5:31 PM
To: Hegde, Vijaykumar
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: S/MIME and X.400

Hi Vijay,

	You should see the I-Ds draft-ietf-smime-x400wrap-04 and
draft-ietf-smime-x400transport-03.  In brief, x400wrap describes wrapping
X.400 content types inside a CMS object, and x400transport describes
conveying a CMS object over an X.400 transport system as an X.400 content
type itself.  Except in the case of a forwarded message, CMS objects are not
embedded in X.400 content.

	In ASN.1 terms, a CMS 'ContentInfo' object is plugged into the X.400
'content' field in X.411.  The content is identified in the 'content-type'
field by either of the following OID values depending upon whether or not it
is MIME encoded.

	id-data OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840)
	rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs7(7) 1 }

	id-ct-contentInfo  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { iso(1) member-body(2)
	us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9) smime(16)
	content-types(1) 6}

The x400wrap draft mainly specifies some specific uses of options in CMS
appropriate to X.400 content.

	Plz let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Chris B.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------
 |  International Electronic Communication Analysts, Inc.      |
 |  Christopher D. Bonatti             15309 Turkey Foot Road  |
 |  Principal Engineer              Darnestown, Md 20878-3640  |
 |  [email-masked]   Tel: 301-208-2349   Fax: 301-208-2379  |
 ---------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Hegde, Vijaykumar
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 03:04
To: [email-masked]
Subject: S/MIME and X.400

Hello,
	
	I have an application where in I have to build an X.400 message. The
"Content" of the message would be a CMS object. How do I insert a CMS object
into the  X.400 Content ?
	alternatively,  How will such a message look like in ASN.1 form ? 

Thanks in advance,
Vijay Hegde