Subject: RFC 3125 on Electronic Signature Policies

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:23:52 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3125

        Title:	    Electronic Signature Policies
        Author(s):  J. Ross, D. Pinkas, N. Pope
        Status:     Experimental
	Date:       September 2001
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      43
        Characters: 95505
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-smime-espolicies-00.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3125.txt

This document defines signature policies for electronic signatures.
A signature policy is a set of rules for the creation and validation
of an electronic signature, under which the validity of signature can
be determined.  A given legal/contractual context may recognize a
particular signature policy as meeting its requirements.
 
A signature policy has a globally unique reference, which is bound to
an electronic signature by the signer as part of the signature
calculation.
 
The signature policy needs to be available in human readable form so
that it can be assessed to meet the requirements of the legal and
contractual context in which it is being applied.
 
To allow for the automatic processing of an electronic signature
another part of the signature policy specifies the electronic
rules for the creation and validation of the electronic signature in
a computer processable form.  In the current document the format of
the signature policy is defined using ASN.1.
 
The contents of this document is based on the signature policy defined
in ETSI TS 101 733 V.1.2.2 (2000-12) Copyright (C).  Individual copies
of this ETSI deliverable can be downloaded from http://www.etsi.org.

This document is a product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group
of the IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.