Subject: RE: WG Last Call: cmsalg

From: Magnus Nystrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:10:52 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)

John Pawling wrote:

[...]
> I agree with Jim Schaad that the S/MIME specs should reference
> the ASN.1 modules in the PKIX documents instead of the ITU-T
> documents.  The PKIX documents are freely available to all, but the
> ITU-T documents are not.

This is not true; all ITU-T ASN.1 documents are available at:

http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com10/languages/index.html

Further, the ASN.1 in PKIX docs is not correct (use of UNIVERSAL
tags), which complicates matters for those using standards-compliant
compilers.

BR,
-- Magnus

---

From: Magnus Nystrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:29:19 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)

...though of course X.509 ASN.1 modules are not freely available
(AFAIK),

Sorry for any confusion,
-- Magnus

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:07:44 -0400

Magnus:

I think that John was referring to the ASN.1 modules associated with X.509, 
not the ASN.1 specifications themselves.

Russ

---

From: Magnus Nystrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:22:48 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)

Actually, it turns out that they indeed are freely available:

http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/asn1/database/itu-t/x/index.html

Many Thanks to Hoyt Kesterson for informing me about this. Hoyt
mentioned to me that the database perhaps is not complete yet; a quick
look however indicates that all needed v3 modules are in place.

So, perhaps S/MIME could reference these modules after all...

BR,
-- Magnus