Subject: snmpconf FW: November Milestones

From: Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 08:21:16 +0200

The SNMPCONF WG might be interesting in this message, from one of our Area
Directors. This is part of a thread in the Traffic Engineering WG list. It
does not relate to policy (maybe), but it certainly relates to Configuration
by SNMP.

Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Randy Bush [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Sun December 03 2000 7:13
> To:	Kireeti Kompella
> Cc:	[email-masked]
> Subject:	Re: November Milestones
> 
> i am not aware of significant operators using snmp to configure routers.
> i know we don't allow snmp writes on any backbone or aggregation devices.
> any large provider here (and not some vendor saying they know 10,000,000
> providers who are beating them up to do it) care to step forward and tell
> us how they use snmp to configure?
> 
> randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 22:30:51 -0800

> Directors.

actually, i was saying it as an operator, and in response to a question of
whether a mib should be designed for config as well as read.  my question of
whether any large operators do puts was really meant at face value.  i
really want to know if any large providers enable and use write.

randy