Subject: RE: snmpconf BCP document

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 04:48:00 +0100

I did go through this document and it seems to me
that it is not really just a BCP, but rather a mix of:

- BCP
- Requirements
- Guidance

Specifically BCP stands for best CURRENT practice.
So I wonder how the policy-based NM can already be
current practice.

Bert

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 08:10:31 -0500

> So I wonder how the policy-based NM can already be

Bert, I am not sure how Guidance differs from Best Current
Practice. With regard to Requirements, they frame the BCP. That is if
you want to do X than here is how to do it.

I do realize we took a bit of liberty but felt the goal of improving
efficient, and effective interoperability of managers and agents that
use SNMP in this context was worth it. The context is probably what you
would call Requirements.

Were your comments observations or a request for a specific change?

Thanks,
/jon
--

Jon Saperia		     [email-masked]
			     Phone: 617-744-1079
			     Fax:   617-249-0874
			     http://www.jdscons.com/

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 01:21:10 -0500

While one may argue about whether what this document describes are all 
(or even mostly) current practices, I believe that the text describes the 
best known ways to currently solve the problems addressed using SNMP.
     As such, publication of this information in a BCP would be very much 
in line with what they have been used for in other cases.  There are quite 
a few cases of BCPs used to describe "what you should do" rather than 
strictly "what is being done", in the context of current knowledge and 
experience.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern