Subject: snmpconf issue #1 resolution - language versioning

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:58:56 +0200

Greetings,

I'll send this out right before I leave for the weekend, so you
have all weekend to blast me :-)

This is my take on the results of all of the mail on language
versioning.  You'll find this thread archived at
http://www.snmp.com/snmpconf/mailing-list/msg00657.html

We have previously agreed that new versions of the language
will be registered as capabilities in the capabilities table.
The question has largely revolved around whether to register
the first version in addition.  I do not see a clear consensus
that this should be done and propose that we not include
registration of the first version.

One comment worth noting is that we are not talking about
changes to accessor functions; we are talking about base
language changes.  Accessor functions are registered separately.
As such changes to accessor functions are already addressed.

So, I think that #1 should be closed with "no change".

With kind regards,

--
David Partain                  [email-masked]
Ericsson Radio Systems AB      Tel:    +46 13 28 41 44
Research and Innovation        Fax:    +46 13 28 75 67
P.O. Box 1248
SE-581 12  Linköping, Sweden

---

From: David Harrington <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:29:20 -0400

Hi,

I'll reply so you have some feedback.
I believe we should register the first version.

dbh

-- 
---
David Harrington            Network Management Standards Architect
[email-masked]           Office of the CTO
+1 603 337 2614 - voice     Enterasys Networks
+1 603 332 1524 - fax       Rochester NH, USA