Subject: snmpconf BCP Section 3.1

From: "Wayne F. Tackabury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 13:09:15 -0400

Sorry I'm getting in on this late, but I got whacked a bit with illness and 
work mania when I got back from Mpls.

I'd mentioned this to Jon and Mike at the WG meeting, but one of the 
comments I received from two folks at the meeting was that the section on 
considerations for MIB design was a bit lengthy with no hierarchy to 
it--that is, it runs a flat 3.1.1 section to a 3.1.23, with no real 
organization for any of those sections or their content.

I made an attempt at this in the -03 draft, and the work that we did on the 
-04 draft just never lent itself to reintroducing this.  If anybody else 
feels like this is a worthwhile effort, I could try (with Mike) giving this 
some hierarchy (e.g., 3.1.1.1...3.1.1.n, 3.1.2.1...).  I know we have a 6 
Apr. deadline, but I could put some effort into this tomorrow (Monday) if 
desired.

Regards,
Wayne

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 08:56:56 -0400

Wayne, hope you are better.

With regard to the proposed reorganization, I have two comments:

     1. The work on the document is not required to be complete by
     April 6. Our goal is to have the to do items enumerated by April
     6. I expect it may take another week or so for the BCP. The other
     documents may take more time because of other issues.

     2. I can see how so many items seems like a flat
     hierarchy. Perhaps you can proposed a reorganization using the
     current numbers and mapping to a new organization, then we would
     be able to see if it is worthwhile.

/jon

> Apr. deadline, but I could put some effort into this tomorrow (Monday) if 

Thanks,
/jon
--

Jon Saperia		     [email-masked]
			     Phone: 617-744-1079
			     Fax:   617-249-0874
			     http://www.jdscons.com/