Subject: snmpconf Normaformational references

From: "Wayne F. Tackabury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 15:34:02 -0500

Here's a proposal for breakdown of references per the most recent 
thread.  Let me know if this sounds about right--I'd like to try to sneak 
in another draft tomorrow to get before the i-d editor returns from 
vacation, so let me know by start of business then.

One question is whether "architecture" documents like [1] and the 
applications document [14] would go into the informative camp.  My read of 
all advice to authors makes it sound like it could go either way.

Normative:

[1]  Harrington, D., Presuhn, R., and B. Wijnen, "An Architecture for
      Describing SNMP Management Frameworks", RFC 2571, April 1999.

[2]  Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Structure and Identification of Man-
      agement Information for TCP/IP-based Internets", STD 16, RFC 1155,
      May 1990.

[3]  Rose, M., and K. McCloghrie, "Concise MIB Definitions", STD 16, RFC
      1212, March 1991.

[4]  Rose, M., "A Convention for Defining Traps for use with the SNMP",
      RFC 1215, March 1991.

[5]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J., Rose, M.,
      and S. Waldbusser, "Structure of Management Information Version 2
      (SMIv2)", STD 58, RFC 2578, April 1999.

[6]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J., Rose, M.,
      and S. Waldbusser, "Textual Conventions for SMIv2", STD 58, RFC
      2579, April 1999.

[7]  McCloghrie, K., Perkins, D., Schoenwaelder, J., Case, J., Rose, M.,
      and S. Waldbusser, "Conformance Statements for SMIv2", STD 58, RFC
      2580, April 1999.

[8]  Case, J., Fedor, M., Schoffstall, M., and J. Davin, "Simple Network
      Management Protocol", STD 15, RFC 1157, May 1990.

[9]  Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Introduc-
      tion to Community-based SNMPv2", RFC 1901, January 1996.

[10] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Transport
      Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
      (SNMPv2)", RFC 1906, January 1996.

[11] Case, J., Harrington D., Presuhn R., and B. Wijnen, "Message Pro-
      cessing and Dispatching for the Simple Network Management Protocol
      (SNMP)", RFC 2572, April 1999.

[12] Blumenthal, U., and B. Wijnen, "User-based Security Model (USM) for
      version 3 of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3)", RFC
      2574, April 1999.

[13] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Protocol
      Operations for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
      (SNMPv2)", RFC 1905, January 1996.

[14] Levi, D., Meyer, P., and B. Stewart, "SNMPv3 Applications", RFC
      2573, April 1999.

[15] Wijnen, B., Presuhn, R., and K. McCloghrie, "View-based Access Con-
      trol Model (VACM) for the Simple Network Management Protocol
      (SNMP)", RFC 2575, April 1999.

[16] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, q(Management
      Information Base for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management
      Protocol (SNMPv2) q, RFC 1907, January 1996.

[18] Case, J., Mundy, R., Partain, D., and B. Stewart, "Introduction to
      Version 3 of the Internet-standard Network Management Framework",
      RFC 2570, April 1999.

[44] McCloghrie, k., "SNMPv2 Management Information Base for the Inter-
      net Protocol using SMIv2", RFC 2011, November 1996.

Informational:

[17] McCloghrie, K., and Kastenholz, F., "The Interfaces Group MIB", RFC
      2863, June 2000.

[19] Brown, C., and F. Baker, "Management Information Base for Frame
      Relay DTEs Using SMIv2", RFC 2115, September 1997.

[20] Baker, F, "Requirements for IP Version 4 Routers", RFC 1812, June
      1995.

[21] Hawkinson, J., and T. Bates, "Guidelines for Creation, Selection,
      and Registration of an Autonomous System (AS)", RFC 1930, March
      1996.

[22] Decker, E., Langille, P., Rijsinghani, A., and K. McCloghrie, "Def-
      initions of Managed Objects for Bridges", RFC 1493, July 1993.

[23] Levi, D., and J. Schoenwaelder "Definitions of Managed Objects for
      Scheduling Management Operations", RFC 2591, May 1999.

[24] Bell, E., Smith, A., Langille, P., Rijsinghani, A., and K.
      McCloghrie, "Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges with Traf-
      fic Classes, Multicast Filtering and Virtual LAN Extensions, RFC
      2674, August 1999.

[25] Baker, F., "IP Forwarding Table MIB", RFC 2096, January 1997.

[26] St. Johns, M., "Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management Informa-
      tion Base for MCNS/DOCSIS compliant RF interfaces", RFC 2670,
      August 1999.

[27] Baker, F., and R. Coltun, "OSPF Version 2 Management Information
      Base", RFC 1850, November 1995.

[28] Blake, S. Black, D.,  Carlson M., Davies E. Wang Z., Weiss W., "An
      Architecture for Differentiated Services ", RFC 2475, December
      1998.

[29] Willis, S. and J. Chu., "Definitions of Managed Objects for the
      Fourth Version of the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP-4) using SMIv2",
      RFC 1657, July 1994.

[30] Waldbusser, S."Remote Network Monitoring Management Information
      Base", RFC 2819, May 2000.

[31] McCloghrie, K., and Hanson, G., "The Inverted Stack Table Extension
      to the Interfaces Group MIB", RFC 2863, June 2000.

[32] McCloghrie, K. and Bierman, A., "Entity MIB (Version 2)", RFC 2737,
      December, 1999.

[33] ITU-T,, Recommendation M.3010., PRINCIPLES FOR A TELECOMMUNICATIONS
      MANAGEMENT NETWORK.  February, 2000.

[34] Waldbusser, S., Saperia, J., and Hongal, T., "Policy Based Manage-
      ment MIB", Work-in-progress.

[35] Heintz, L., "SNMP Row Operations Extensions", Work-in-progress.

[36] Zeltserman, D., "A Practical Guide to Snmpv3 and Network Manage-
      ment", Prentice Hall, 1999.

[37] Noto, M., Spiegel, E., and Tesink, K., "Definitions of Textual Con-
      ventions and OBJECT-IDENTITIES for ATM Management", RFC 2514,
      February, 1999.

[38] Kassaveri, R., and Stewart, B., "Distributed Management Expression
      MIB", RFC 2982, October, 2000.

[39] Daniele, M., Haberman, B., Routhier, S., and Schoenwaelder, J.,
      "Textual Conventions for Internet Network Addresses", RFC 2851,
      June 2000.

[40] St. Johns, M.,  "DOCSIS Cable Device MIB Cable Device Management
      Information Base for DOCSIS compliant Cable Modems and Cable Modem
      Termination Systems", RFC 2669, August, 1999.

[41] Westerinen, A., Schnizlein, J., Strassner, J., Scherling, M.,
      Quinn, B., Herzog, S., Huynh, A., Carlson, M., Perry, J., and Wald-
      busser, S., "Terminology for Policy-Based Management", work-in-
      progress, July, 2001.
         **note from Wayne: I think this has a RFC number now**

[42] http://wwww.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/product/software/ios113ed/
      11ed_cr/secur_c/scprt/scacls.pdf.

[43] Waldbusser, S., "Remote Network Monitoring Management Information
      Base Version 2 using SMIv2", RFC 2021, January 1997.

Regards,
Wayne

---

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 23:09:37 +0100

Inline

A lot of these references are all to the old DS SNMPv3 RFCs.
We have a new range RFC341x. If you do not change them now,
we will see delay later in the RFC-Editor queue when they do
want to update them to the current RFCs that have obsoleted 
the ones you list.

If you use the new boiler plate (I did send a copy to you),
then maybe you do not need to use as many references.

More inline

Thanks,
Bert 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Wayne F. Tackabury [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: donderdag 2 januari 2003 21:34
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: snmpconf Normaformational references
> 
> 
> applications document [14] would go into the informative 
> camp.  My read of  all advice to authors makes it sound like it
> could go either way.
>

For STDs track documents, you cannot have normative refs to docs that
are lower on the stds track. So you would normally not have a normative
reference to an informational RFC. There are exceptions.

> [16] Case, J., McCloghrie, K., Rose, M., and S. Waldbusser, "Management
>       Protocol (SNMPv2)", RFC 1907, January 1996.
> 
I think I would make the above (2570, or better 3410) an Informative ref

> [35] Heintz, L., "SNMP Row Operations Extensions", Work-in-progress.

This one is dead now... do you still want to reference it?

>       Base Version 2 using SMIv2", RFC 2021, January 1997.

Bert