Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-snmpconf-pm-14.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:25:05 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Configuration Management with SNMP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Policy Based Management MIB
	Author(s)	: S. Waldbusser, J. Saperia, T. Hongal
	Filename	: draft-ietf-snmpconf-pm-14.txt
	Pages		: 128
	Date		: 2003-10-3
	
This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base
(MIB) for use with network management protocols in TCP/IP-
based internets.  In particular, this MIB defines objects that
enable policy-based monitoring and management of SNMP
infrastructures as well as a scripting language and a script
execution environment.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpconf-pm-14.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-snmpconf-pm-14.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpconf-pm-14.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Steve Waldbusser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:53:44 -0700

Diffs:

The -14 draft of the PM MIB was published. The changes are in two main categories:

1. Fixes to issues brought up by Bert's AD-Review:

  - Updated references
  - Cleaned up instructions on how credential delegation works including
    adding usage examples
  - Changed name of UTF8String TC to PmUTF8String to avoid conflicts
  - Added warning text to tables where combinations of indexes could
    result in instance names longer than 128 subids.
  - Expanded security considerations section with information about
    specifically which objects may have security concerns when written.
  - Added an IANA considerations section

2. Patrik Falstrom did a review of the document to ensure that the
document was consistent with regards to internationalization.  Patrik
had a few concerns that things *weren't* consistent which basicly
boiled down to the fact that while 'Strings' are defined to be UTF-8,
comparison operations on them treat them as 8-bit characters even if
they happen to contain multi-byte characters. We agreed the best
remedy to this would be not to pretend that Strings (and operations on
Strings) are UTF-8, but to define them as sequences of octets and then
create an International String function library that contains
functions that manipulate Strings that may contain multi-byte
characters.

The full set of changes were:

  - Define String as a sequence of octets and make sure all existing
    functions are defined correctly for single-byte ascii characters
  - Create a function library for International Strings that contains
    Stringprep and other functions for multi-byte characters. (See this
    function library for the details)
  - Updated the stringprep profile to perform normalization

Thanks to Bert and Patrik for the very thorough reviews!

Steve

[email-masked] wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Content-Type: text/plain
> Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>