Subject: [Softwires] Interim Meeting Date/Location

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:34:45 -0600

As Dave said, trying to find a date that is acceptable even just among 
the chairs and AD has been difficult. After much discussion amongst the 
3 of us, I'd like to accept Xing Li's proposal to host in Hong Kong, 
with Feb 23-24 as the target date.

I understand that this is overstepping the 30-day pre-ietf window just a 
bit, and I am prepared to take any heat for that. The intent for 
selection of these dates is to increase global participation, catering a 
bit to those traveling from outside Asia (including Alain and I) who 
will be attending APRICOT in Perth the following week (meaning only one 
round-trip laterally across the globe).

Please flame NOW if these dates are unacceptable, but know that 
alternatives will likely be just as problematic to someone else. This 
interim meeting will focus on selecting a solution for the problem 
statement the group has described, and it is very important that we have 
one person available at the meeting that is very familiar with each 
solution to be considered. Remote participation will be made available 
for those who simply cannot attend or send someone in their stead, 
though physical presence is greatly preferred in order to faciliate 
thorough discussion and consensus.

Thanks,

- Mark

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:52:09 +0100

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for this.

This seems much more reasonable than the previous arrangement, but may be it
will be much better doing it directly in Perth ?

The other point is that if the intend is to increase the participation and
even for those going to APRICOT, the dates should be slightly before what
you say, otherwise it will actually conflict with some of us going to
APRICOT for doing some workshops.

Just in case you didn't realized it, here are the dates for APRICOT and
APNIC (arranged together in Perth):

- APRICOT: 22-26 February (http://www.apricot2006.net)
- APNIC: 27 Feb. - 3 March (http://www.apnic.net/meetings/21/index.html)

Making it 20-21 will help (with a smaller possibility of conflict if is done
in Hong Kong, because the flight time).

What is really important is to make sure that we fix it very soon, please,
in order to avoid paying for more expensive flights !

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:34:45 -0600
> Para: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: [Softwires] Interim Meeting Date/Location
> 
> 

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Slides available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 06:42:28 -0600

>will be much better doing it directly in Perth ?
Good idea. However, we would first need a host, and I would need to know 
that this doesn't unduly burden those in Asia by forcing them to fly to 
Perth. I don't want to make this an APRICOT-only meeting. The idea was 
to accomodate myself and Alain and anyone else going to Apricot, while 
still being convienent to those based in Asia. I'm afraid that in Perth 
we might end up with the worst of both worlds, except for those 
attending APRICOT.

>in Hong Kong, because the flight time).
That's a very long time in Perth and away from families. Are the 
workshops really a source of conflict? I was operating under the 
assumption that the second week of APRICOT was more well-attended than 
the first.

>in order to avoid paying for more expensive flights !
No doubt. And while it is good to have lots of input on the subject, 
each time we entertain it we push the date out again.

So, Jordi, are you personally objecting to Feb 23-24?

Also, group, is there anyone here who was planning on attending the 
APRICOT workshops Jordi referred to who will not be able to attend a 
softwire meeting on Feb 23-24 due to this?

Thanks,

- Mark

---

From: Florent Parent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:32:56 -0500

23-24 is fine with me.
Florent

--On 7 janvier 2006 06:42:28 -0600 Mark Townsley <[email-masked]> wrote:

> No doubt. And while it is good to have lots of input on the subject, each
> time we entertain it we push the date out again.
>

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:07:51 -0600

Feb 23-24, Perth or Hong Kong

Please respond to this email (privately, to me so as not to flood the 
list) stating whether you could make one or both of the locations above 
on Feb 23-24 for an Interim meeting.

Please respond even if you simply *intend* to be present, and if these 
dates could work. There is no implied commitment based on your response.

Thank you,

- Mark

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:37:54 +0000

Mark

Rather than travel to the other side of the world for a two day meeting
why not meet the week before IETF in the US, for example
in Dalas?

I would imagine that most of the folks that are going to the intrim
are also going to the IETF, and will already have their visas in
place.

Regards

Stewart

Mark Townsley wrote:

> list) stating whether you could make one or both of the locations 
> above on Feb 23-24 for an Interim meeting.
>

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:00:24 -0600

Me again, folks.

Response has not been as good as I expected. Let me ask again.

Please respond to this mail if you would *intend* to be present in HK or 
Perth. Also, please respond and let me know if you would normally travel 
for this meeting, but cannot because of this particular date/location.

Thanks,

- Mark