Subject: [Softwires] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-palet-softwires-ats6-01.txt

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:37:56 +0100

Hi,

The official announcement.

Regards,
Jordi

------ Mensaje reenviado
De: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Responder a: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Fecha: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:50:02 -0500
Para: <[email-masked]>
Asunto: I-D ACTION:draft-palet-softwires-ats6-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

 Title  : Automatic Tunneling Setup for/with IPv6
 Author(s) : J. Palet, M. Diaz
 Filename : draft-palet-softwires-ats6-01.txt
 Pages  : 38
 Date  : 2006-1-18
 
This document presents the basis for a procedure that enables a host
   or router to automatically setup an IPvX in IPvY tunnel.  Basically,
   the document considers several scenarios, from the most common today
   "dominant IPv4" networks to new "dominant IPv6" networks, which can
   even support the use of multicast.

   A basic requirement is that the host or router is a dual stack node
   and it will have either native IPv4-only access (dominant IPv4
   network) or native IPv6-only access (dominant IPv6 network).
   Consequently, either IPv6 will be transported in the existing IPv4-
   only infrastructure, or IPv4 will be transported in the existing
   IPv6-only infrastructure.  Other combinations are possible, such as
   IPv6 in IPv6 (for example to support IPv6 multicast in an IPv6-
   unicast-only infrastructure).

   The procedure follows the work from [1], [2], [3], [4] and mainly
   [5], trying to be compliant with the requirements enumerated in those
   documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palet-softwires-ats6-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
 "get draft-palet-softwires-ats6-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
 [email-masked].
In the body type:
 "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-palet-softwires-ats6-01.txt".
 
NOTE: The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
 MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
 feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
 command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
 a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
 exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
 "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
 up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
 how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

------ Fin del mensaje reenviado

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Slides available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: Laurent Toutain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:33:50 +0100

Hi Jordy,

there is something I don't understand in the assumptions of the  
draft. In the last
item of §3 you say that the SC can be behind a NAT ?

if you have something like

SC  | NAT |  (Internet)   SI

The SC has a private address and I understand that you need to bother  
on what
kind of NAT you have, but I don't see the interest of this  
architecture. If I'm a IPv6
virtual provider why should I hide my service behind a NAT, isn't it  
better to give
a public IPv4 address to the service.

If I have something like :

SC (Internet) | NAT | SI

I just need a encapsulation with port number to cross the NAT and I  
don't care
of the kind on NAT I have, since it is just a tunnel between SC and SI.

Laurent

Le 18 janv. 06 à 22:37, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ a écrit :

> This electronic message contains information which may be  
> privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for  
> the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the  
> intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying,  
> distribution or use of the contents of this information, including  
> attached files, is prohibited.
>
>
>
>

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:33:52 +0100

Hi Laurent,

Yes, this is a frequent case.

Of course, I agree that is better to give the SC a public address, but what
I'm referring here is something different (not a private address for the
SC).

I've seen several situations where the NAT is in the ISP side, not in the
CPE. This happens sometimes with GPRS and dial-up.

Not sure if this clarify your question ?

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Laurent Toutain <[email-masked]>
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:33:50 +0100
> Para: <[email-masked]>
> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: Re: [Softwires] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-palet-softwires-ats6-01.txt
> 
> Hi Jordy,
>