Subject: [Softwires] Control and data plane

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:31:42 +0100

Hi all,

I'm trying to clarify myself about this:

3.11.2.  Privacy, Integrity, and Replay protection

   The softwire Control and/or Data plane MUST be able to provide full
   payload security (such as IPsec or SSL) when desired.  This
   additional protection MUST be separable from the tunneling aspect of
   the softwire mechanism itself.  For IPsec, default profiles MUST be
   defined. [draft-ietf-v6ops-ipsec-tunnels] provides guidelines on
   this.

I'm starting to think that if I can't understand this text being 100% sure
about what we want to say, then is not clear enough ;-)

My question is, when we say contral and/or data plane, we are referring to
the softwire protocol itself including any handshaking etc. ?

So the handshaking is the payload and then is data, or data is the tunnel.

Because if data is the tunnel (which is what I think), then it is already
covered by the 2nd sentence ...

Moreover, are we requiring encryption or just authentication ?

Regards,
Jordi

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Slides available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires