Subject: RE: [Softwires] draft-templin-mtuassurance-00.txt as Softwire WG Item?

From: "Fiumano, Michael F [NTK]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:07:43 -0600

In the meeting it was asked if it was felt that something like this was
needed, not if we wanted it to become a wg item.  

While I felt that something like this is definitely needed, I am not
sure if it is appropriate for this working group.

>From my experience, it may also be interesting to note that a lot of
problems with TCP connections over tunnels isn't necessarily only
related to MTU issues, but also to TCP-MSS issues as well.

Michael Fiumano
Senior Network Engineer
IP Core Infrastructure
703-689-5875 Wk
703-598-2434 Cel
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Templin, Fred L [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 4:59 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Softwires] draft-templin-mtuassurance-00.txt as Softwire WG
Item?

At the Softwire wg meeting yesterday, I presented a document titled:
"Requirements for IP-in-IP Tunnel MTU Assurance" and was asked by
the chairs to gauge list interest in having it become a wg item.
The abstract and a link to the document appear below; please send
comments/questions to the list.

Fred
[email-masked]

   Abstract
   
   IP-in-IP tunnels present a Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) to layer 3
   via static prearrangements and/or dynamic MTU determination based on
   layer 2 ICMP messages, but these methods have known operational
   limitations that can fail to enforce an assured MTU resulting in
   degraded performance and communications failures.  A method for
   providing an assured MTU to layer 3 over IP-in-IP tunnels is needed.

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-mtuassurance-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires