Subject: RE: [Softwires] Technical Comparison between L2TPv2 and TSP

From: "Maria A. Dos Santos \(mariados\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:40:06 -0800

Jordi, 

I am going to ask a simple question... why? =)

alice

> Let me clarify.  What I mean is if on the same router we have both 
> Mesh and Hub&Spoke, since l2tp will be part of Mesh already, enabling 
> Hub&Spoke with l2tp does not require adding another protocol.
> But if we enable Hub&Spoke with TSP, then we will have to add the TSP 
> control protocol onto the router (yes, the protocol 41 encap will be a

> reuse).

I don't think is a real advantage, because I don't think from a
realistic point of view, we can expect the same box acting as a mesh and
as a h&s box.
Both are so different scenarios, that will not be present at the same
time (in the same box).

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:07:42 -0600

> De: "Maria A. Dos Santos (mariados)" <[email-masked]>
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:40:06 -0800
> Para: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
> Conversación: [Softwires] Technical Comparison between L2TPv2 and TSP
> Asunto: RE: [Softwires] Technical Comparison between L2TPv2 and TSP
> 
> Jordi, 
> 

My view of the problem is that an ISP is typically not having both problems
(name it scenarios if you prefer). Either they have customers that need a
single exit path (a static route), or multiple (full routing). Even if we
consider the case where an ISP has both type of customers, typically they
will be hanging from separate links terminated in different boxes.

Of course, I understand that from the point of view of a router
manufacturer, is easy to implement a single protocol, specially if it is
almost done ;-), and this is a good thing from the TTM perspective, but is a
different point that what you indicated below, I thing.

> Both are so different scenarios, that will not be present at the same

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Slides available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.