Subject: [Softwires] IPsec protection for configured IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnels

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:41:08 +0300 (EEST)

FYI,

Some softwires docs seem to be referring to this document. It has been 
significantly revised.

Personally, it is not clear to me how this applies to softwires and 
what softwire-specific extensions or specification softwires WG might 
have to do.

If you have comments on the draft, as the authors, I'd like to ask to 
send feedback by Oct 18 (in a week) so that we may consider whether 
the draft needs to revised prior to the IETF.

The tools WG page (including diffs etc.) is:

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/v6ops/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipsec-tunnels/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:50:02 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-v6ops-ipsec-tunnels-03.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

 	Title		: Using IPsec to Secure IPv6-in-IPv4 Tunnels
 	Author(s)	: P. Savola, et al.
 	Filename	: draft-ietf-v6ops-ipsec-tunnels-03.txt
 	Pages		: 22
 	Date		: 2006-10-10

This document gives guidance on securing manually configured IPv6-in-
    IPv4 tunnels using IPsec.  No additional protocol extensions are
    described beyond those available with the IPsec framework.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipsec-tunnels-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
"get draft-ietf-v6ops-ipsec-tunnels-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
 	[email-masked].
In the body type:
 	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipsec-tunnels-03.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
 	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
 	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
 	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
 	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
 	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
 	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
 	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
 	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
Softwires mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: Florent Parent <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 00:36:10 -0400

Pekka,

A bit late, but...

Since L2TP is used in the current discussion, much of what is discussed in 
RFC3193 (Securing L2TP using IPsec) can be applied, specially in the hub 
and spoke scenario. IPsec transport mode is used since L2TP/PPP already 
provide a tunnel link (as the v6ops-ipsec-tunnels also mentions).

I do not see any comments/changes that would be applicable to 
v6ops-ipsec-tunnels at this point.

Florent

--On 11 octobre 2006 11:41:08 +0300 Pekka Savola <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Personally, it is not clear to me how this applies to softwires and what
> softwire-specific extensions or specification softwires WG might have to
> do.
>
> send feedback by Oct 18 (in a week) so that we may consider whether the
> draft needs to revised prior to the IETF.
>

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:56:20 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Florent Parent wrote:
> RFC3193 (Securing L2TP using IPsec) can be applied, specially in the hub and 
> spoke scenario. IPsec transport mode is used since L2TP/PPP already provide a 
> tunnel link (as the v6ops-ipsec-tunnels also mentions).

Indeed.

> v6ops-ipsec-tunnels at this point.

Thanks!

Pekka

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings