Subject: [Softwires] 6rd deployment vs. 6rd domain

From: WashamFan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:09:02 +0800

Hi,

Are they the same? according to the draft, my impression is yes.
But according to the 6rd ppts presented in ietf75, page14, bullet 1:

   An SP may subdivide a 6rd deployment into separate “6rd Domains” 
   in order to:

It seemed a deployment spans multiple domains. Is it appropriate
to add the terms to sec3?

washam

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:56:24 +0100

An SP may deploy 6rd a as a single 6rd domain, or may split the 
deployment into multiple domains. From the perspective of the protocol, 
each domain in standalone in nature whether there is a 1:1 relationship 
between a domain and an SP or an N:1 relationship among multiple domains 
and an SP. Operationally, there are differences to consider, in 
particular some of the looping issues we talked about at the last IETF 
meeting and on the list leading up to it.

- Mark

WashamFan wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Softwires mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires
>
>

---

From: WashamFan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:43:59 +0800

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the clarification. 

When I looked at the looping issues in sec11. It is a little hard for me to 
understand how such attack launched. I can hardly find looping related 
discussions between the last 2 meetings in the mailist. I downloaded
your presentation, but the attack illustration pages are broken (I am not
sure it is because the original one online was broken or my pdf software
has a compatibility problem). Could you send me a copy? 

Specifically, it is not clear about the sentence2, para3, sec11

                                              If the attacker constructs the packet
   accordingly, and can inject a packet with an IPv6 source address that
   looks as if it originates from within the 6rd domain of the second
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   border relay, [...]
   ^^^^^^^

Did you mean the 6rd domain the second border relay is serving? Does
the second border relay serve the same domain as the first BR? (since
a domain allows for multiple BRs, IMO)

BTW, is it OK to define 6rd domain in sec3? I saw this term everywhere.
Or you think the definition is too obvious to be explicitly stated?

Thanks,
washam