Subject: [Softwires] requesting comments about the "b4-translated-ds-lite"

From: Qiong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:56:33 +0800

Dear all,

The following is our latest progress on our "bt-translated-ds-lite". It
moves the translation function from tunnel concentrator (AFTR) to initiators
(B4s), and hence reduce the mapping scale on the concentrator to
per-customer level. We have implemented a prototype and deployed it in Hunan
province.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite-03.txt

Your comments are more than welcome.

Best wishes

Qiong

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                  Lightweight 4over6 in access network
              draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite-03

Abstract

   The dual-stack lite mechanism provide an IPv4 access method over IPv6
   ISP network for end users.  Dual-Stack Lite enables an IPv6 provider
   to share IPv4 addresses among customers by combining IPv4-in-IPv6
   tunnel and Carrier Grade NAT.  However, in dual-stack lite, CGN has
   to maintain active NAT sessions, which could become the performance
   bottom-neck due to high dynamic s of NAT entries, memory cost and log
   issue.  This document propose the lightweight 4over6 mechanism which
   moves the translation function from tunnel concentrator (AFTR) to
   initiators (B4s), and hence reduce the mapping scale on the
   concentrator to per-customer level.  For NAT44 translation usage, the
   mechanism will allocate port restricted IPv4 addresses to initiators
   in a flexible way independent of IPv6 network in the middle.

---

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:40:27 +0200

> The following is our latest progress on our "bt-translated-ds-lite". It moves the translation function from tunnel concentrator (AFTR) to initiators (B4s), and hence reduce the mapping scale on the concentrator to per-customer level. We have implemented a prototype and deployed it in Hunan province. 
> 

I think this is a good idea in general and that it fits well with the other approaches we've been discussing in softwire for
IPv4 over IPv6 mechanisms. I'll read through again and provide detailed comments asap.

with regards to document organization, would it be possible to:
- merge host 4over6 (draft-cui-softwire-host-4over6-06) with lightweight 4over6 (draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite-03)
- merge stateless 4over6 (draft-sun-softwire-stateless-4over6-00) with the MAP effort

then we'll have one 'stateless' version of A+P document and one 'stateful' A+P aka DS-lite with A+P extensions.
both also handling the case of a full IPv4 address on the B4.

cheers,
Ole

> _______________________________________________
> Softwires mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: Qiong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:16:07 +0800

Hi Ole,

Thanks a lot for your comments. Please see inline :)

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Ole Troan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I think this is a good idea in general and that it fits well with the other
> approaches we've been discussing in softwire for

Qiong: Thanks. We are looking forward to your detailed comments.

with regards to document organization, would it be possible to:
> - merge host 4over6 (draft-cui-softwire-host-4over6-06) with lightweight
> 4over6 (draft-cui-softwire-b4-translated-ds-lite-03)
>

Qiong: I personally think it is a very good suggestion. Both "host 4over6"
and "lightweight 4over6" share the common feature with stateful
per-user-encapsulation, and "lightweight 4over6" is also an address sharing
extension to "host 4over6". I think it would be reasonable to merge these
two documents if the authors of "host 4over6" do not object to it.

> - merge stateless 4over6 (draft-sun-softwire-stateless-4over6-00) with the

Qiong: ok. I will merge it with MAP effort.

Best wishes

Qiong