Subject: [Softwires] Quick comment on draft-ietf-softwire-unified-cpe-01 presentation - DHCP option already defined

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:29:41 +0200

I just wanted to quickly comment on Simon's presentation. On slide 3,
there was a question asked whether OPTION_MAP_BIND_DYN is needed to
signal to the client whether DHCPv4-over-DHCPv6 should be enabled or not.

That option is already defined. See section 6.2 of the
dhcpv4-over-dhcpv6 drafts:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv4-over-dhcpv6-01#section-6.2

A quick explanation - that option is defined as a top level option, not
as a sub-option in MAP container. That's actually better. Although MAP
and perhaps lw4over6 are primary use cases for DHCPv4-over-DHCPv6, the
DHCPv4-over-DHCPv6 is really a generic purpose and can potentially be
used in different deployment scenarios, so there's no need to tie it
with MAP option.

If you are interested, dhcpv4-over-dhcpv6 is going to be presented and
discussed twice:
Wednesday, July 31, 1620-1720 CEST (joint sunset4/dhc session)
Thursday, August 1, 0900-1130 CEST (dhc)

You are more than welcome to join in the discussion.

Tomek

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 12:37:39 +0200

> used in different deployment scenarios, so there's no need to tie it

This makes *a lot* of sense.

Unless the WG disagrees, it will be part of the next revision of 
unified-cpe.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca