Subject: [Softwires] Protocol Action: 'Mapping of Address and Port using Translation (MAP-T)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-softwire-map-t-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 10:28:54 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Mapping of Address and Port using Translation (MAP-T)'
  (draft-ietf-softwire-map-t-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Softwires Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-softwire-map-t/

Technical Summary:

The Mapping of Address and Port - Translation (MAP-T) is a double
stateless NAT64 based solution.  It builds on existing stateless NAT64
techniques specified in [RFC6145], along with the stateless
algorithmic address & transport layer port mapping scheme defined in
MAP-E.  The MAP-T solution differs from MAP-E in the use of IPv4-IPv6
translation, rather than encapsulation, as the form of IPv6 domain
transport.  The translation mode is considered advantageous in
scenarios where the encapsulation overhead, or IPv6 operational
practices rule out encapsulation.

Working Group Summary:

The working group had active discussion on the draft and the current
text of the draft is representative of the consensus of the working
group. 

Document Quality:

The document has received adequate review. The Document Shepherd has
no concerns about the depth or breadth of these reviews. There are
several interoperable implementations of the scheme and they have been
demonstrated and tested during the IETF meetings.  Interoperability
test results have been documented in draft-xli-softwire-map-testing-04.  
Experiences from MAP-T Testing have been documented in
draft-cordeiro-softwire-experience-mapt-02. Some of the use cases have
been documented in draft-maglione-softwire-map-t-scenarios-04.

Personnel:

Suresh Krishnan is the document shepherd. Ted Lemon is the responsible
AD.

RFC Editor Note:

This document is one of a set of five softwire documents that should be published with sequential RFC numbers.  The numbering should be in the following order:

draft-ietf-softwire-lw4over6
draft-ietf-softwire-map
draft-ietf-softwire-map-dhcp
draft-ietf-softwire-map-t
draft-ietf-softwire-4rd