Subject: [Softwires] Protocol Action: 'IPv4 Multicast over an IPv6 Multicast in Softwire Mesh Network' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast-25.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 10:36:06 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IPv4 Multicast over an IPv6 Multicast in Softwire Mesh Network'
  (draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast-25.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Softwires Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Éric Vyncke and Suresh Krishnan.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast/

Technical Summary

 This document defines a mechanism for transporting IPv4 multicast
traffic over single-stack IPv6 multicast service provider's networks.

This is achieved through the use of the underlying IPv6 multicast
distribution tree. The IPv4 traffic is statelessly encapsulated in
IPv6. The main benefit of this solution is using an IPv6
multicast network for the efficient distribution of IPv4 based
multicast content.

Working Group Summary

There is consensus in the WG for the publication of this
document. A question was raised about scope overlap
between this document and RFC8114 (Delivery of IPv4
Multicast Services to IPv4 Clients over an IPv6 Multicast
Network). The two differ in the RFC8114 covers multicast
for DSLite based networks, whereas this document is
for multicast over mesh based provider backbone networks.
Text has been added to the Introduction of this
document to clarify the difference in scope and the
authors of RFC8114 have agreed the text.

Document Quality

  One of the authors (Shu Yang) stated that the Bitway company (a networking device company in China)
have implemented a prototype.

Personnel

Ian Farrer (Softwire co-chair), is the Document Shepherd.
Eric Vyncke is the Responsible AD.