Subject: [Softwires] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5549 (6786)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 11:52:04 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5549,
"Advertising IPv4 Network Layer Reachability Information with an IPv6 Next Hop".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6786

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Mike Dubrovsky <[email-masked]>

Section: 4

Original Text
-------------
   A BGP speaker MUST only advertise to a BGP peer the IPv4 or VPN-IPv4
   NLRI with an IPv6 Next Hop if the BGP speaker has first ascertained
   via BGP Capability Advertisement that the BGP peer supports the
   Extended Next Hop Encoding capability for the relevant AFI/SAFI pair.

Corrected Text
--------------
   A BGP speaker MUST only advertise to a BGP peer the IPv4 or VPN-IPv4
   NLRI with an IPv6 Next Hop if the BGP speaker has first ascertained
   via BGP Capability Advertisement that the BGP peer supports the
   Extended Next Hop Encoding capability for the relevant AFI/SAFI pair.
   
   IPv4 or VPN-IPv4 NLRI with an IPv6 Next Hop SHOULD be treated as 
   malformed if it received from a BGP speaker that has not sent BGP 
   Capability Advertisement for the relevant AFI/SAFI pair.   

Notes
-----
The behavior was not explicitly mentioned.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5549 (draft-ietf-softwire-v4nlri-v6nh-02)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Advertising IPv4 Network Layer Reachability Information with an IPv6 Next Hop
Publication Date    : May 2009
Author(s)           : F. Le Faucheur, E. Rosen
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Softwires
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG