Subject: Re: [lamps] Call for adoption of draft-housley-cms-mix-with-psk

From: Tim Hollebeek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 15:50:12 +0000

The consensus appears to be for the WG to adopt this draft.

-Tim

From: Tim Hollebeek 
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2018 12:02 PM
To: SPASM <[email-masked]>
Subject: Call for adoption of draft-housley-cms-mix-with-psk

The recently approved LAMPS WG Charter adds this work item:

4. Specify the use of a pre-shared key (PSK) along with other key management
techniques with supported by the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) as a
mechanism to protect present day communication from the future invention of
a large-scale quantum computer.  The invention of a large-scale quantum
computer poses a serious challenge for the key management algorithms that
are widely deployed today, especially the key transport and key agreement
algorithms used today with the CMS to protect S/MIME messages.

It has been suggested that the WG adopt draft-housley-cms-mix-with-psk as
the starting point for this work.  Since Russ Housley is the author of this
draft, Tim Hollebeek will judge consensus for this discussion.  Please voice
your support or concerns on the list.