Subject: [lamps] Protocol Action: 'Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 4.0 Message Specification' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 13:36:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 4.0
   Message Specification'
  (draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX
and SMIME Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Eric Rescorla.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis/

  Technical Summary:

    This document specifies the message handling for S/MIME 4.0.
    The changes since S/MIME 3.2 include required support for
    authenticated encryption, increased RSA key sizes, moving old
    cryptographic algorithms to historic status, and requiring support
    for AES-256 GCM, ChaCha200-Poly1305, SHA-512, ECDSA with P-256,
    EdDSA, and Ed25519.

  Working Group Summary:

    There is strong consensus for this document in the LAMPS WG.

  Document Quality:

    S/MIME has wide support, and several implementers have said that
    they will implement the new features in this document.

  Personnel:

    Russ Housley is the document shepherd.
    Eric Rescorla is the responsible area director.