Subject: [Speechsc] SPEECHSC & usage of SIP

From: "Neil Deason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:11:10 -0800

Hi.

I would like to offer a perspective on the use of SIP within the problem
space being studied by the group. SIP is a protocol for initiating,
modifying and terminating sessions. SIP is therefore not best suited as
a general transport protocol for other protocols or a media resource
control protocol.

With that said the most appropriate use for SIP in this context would
appear to be to set up the control session, which then runs the TBD
SPEECHSC protocol. This has some attractive properties - it provides a
natural association between the audio and control sessions and SIP is
likely to be widely deployed in the networks where the SPEECHSC protocol
is needed.

At the WG meeting I mentioned a now expired Internet Draft which
provided an example of a similar usage of SIP to set up SOAP sessions.
This is not intended to say SOAP must be the SPEECHSC protocol. Though
the thought of MRCP encoded in SOAP and set up through SIP might have
some appeal here ;)

Some important points to note about this draft - it has expired and is
out of date. In particular the SIMPLE WG appears to have moved towards
CPIM/TCP in preference to IMTP for message based sessions where SIP is
concerned. Therefore the idea in this draft for using IMTP as the
transport for SOAP messaging needs revision. However, the example usage
part of how an audio/RTP session can be set up along side a control
channel through SIP/SDP is still valid.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-deason-sipping-soap-sessions-0
0.txt

hth,
Neil.
--
Neil Deason                             3 Lagoon Drive
[email-masked]                    Suite 345
Director of Technology                  Redwood City
Ubiquity Software Corporation           CA 94065
http://www.ubiquity.net                 USA

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc