Subject: [Speechsc] RECOGNIZE completion-cause 003 and 008

From: Claudia Daboul <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:43:55 +0200

The spec defines the following completion-causes for the RECOGNIZE request

003          recognition-timeout
                                    RECOGNIZE completed without a match
                                    due to a recognition-timeout
and

008           too-much-speech-timeout
                                    RECOGNIZE request terminated because
                                    speech was too long.

The recognition timeout parameter is explained as follows:

Recognition Timeout

    When recognition is started and there is no match for a certain
    period of time, the recognizer can send a RECOGNITION-COMPLETE event
    to the client and terminate the recognition operation. It is the
    timer that is started when START-OF-SPEECH event is generated by the
    resource and specifies the maximum duration of the utterance. When
    this timer expires the recognition request would complete with a
    status code of "008 too-much-speech-timeout". The recognition-
    timeout header field sets this timeout value. The value is in
    milliseconds. The value for this field ranges from 0 to MAXTIMEOUT,
    where MAXTIMEOUT is platform specific. The default value is 10
    seconds. This header field MAY occur in RECOGNIZE, SET-PARAMS or
    GET-PARAMS.

I am wondering if there is any difference between completion-causes 003 
and 008. Can anybody clarify this?

Claudia

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: David R Oran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:13:34 -0400

On Jul 15, 2005, at 7:43 AM, Claudia Daboul wrote:

> I am wondering if there is any difference between completion-causes  
> 003 and 008. Can anybody clarify this?
>
I'll take a whack. 003 says that the recognizer didn't see anything  
that matched an active grammar before the timer ran out. 008 says the  
recognizer got an utterance that matched the grammar but the user  
kept babbling on and didn't stop so the match is probably bogus.

---

From: Claudia Daboul <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:30:43 +0200

> recognizer got an utterance that matched the grammar but the user  kept
 > babbling on and didn't stop so the match is probably bogus.

Do you mean that for example when the grammar understands "yes" or "no" 
and the caller says "yes, but blah blah blah..." I would get 008, but if 
he just says "blah blah blah..." I would get 003?

I think in both cases it would make more sense to return 001 for 
no-match. More generally if the recognizer has determined that the 
utterance could not have matched the grammar, even if the 
recognition-timeout would have been higher, it should return the 
no-match code.
Only if this can't be determined, either because the recognizer doesn't 
process the cut off utterance, or because it determined that the 
utterance did indeed match the grammar until it was cut off, the 003 (or 
008) should be returned.

David R Oran wrote:
> recognizer got an utterance that matched the grammar but the user  kept 
> babbling on and didn't stop so the match is probably bogus.
> 
>> Claudia
>>