Subject: [Speechsc] Driving toward Last Call on MRCPv2

From: David R Oran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 14:34:03 -0400

By now you folks should have noticed that -07 was posted by Sarvi.  
This was a major revision, incorporating resolutions to the vast  
majority of the open issues, a conversion from Word to XML source,  
and a comprehensive technical and editorial review by both co-chairs.

If you haven't already, you can get it from:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speechsc-mrcpv2-07.txt

In order to keep track of the issues raised on the mailing list and  
to manage the editing process, the chairs and authors have been using  
the "roundup" issue tracking tool. It is being hosted on  
softarmor.com with the gracious help of Dean Willis. We kept it  
private for the creation of -07, but are now ready to open it to the  
whole working group to review the changes and see the status of the  
remaining open issues.

Please navigate to https://www.softarmor.com/roundup/speechsc/ and  
register yourself to access the issues list.

The chairs would like to have no more than one further revision of  
the specification and be ready for WG last call by the end of August.  
Therefore, please:
- make sure any issues you have reaised and were supposed to be  
addressed in -07 in fact have been marked resolved in the issue  
tracker and correctly reflected in -07
- review the open issues and indicate on the mailing list if there  
you feel their are any which MUST be resolved prior to going to last  
call. Unless we hear otherwise, we would like to defer non-critical  
functionality from this version of MRCP so we can get to proposed  
standard soon.

We would like to declare rough consensus on each of the open issues  
as soon as feasible, and surface any new issues and deal with them  
expeditiously.

I know this is mid-summer and people have lots of other things to  
think about. Some of your time and energy on this effort will be of  
great assistance to the working group in completing our main piece of  
technical work with minimal further delay.

Thanks and Regards,
Dave Oran (speechsc co-chair).

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc

---

From: "Dave Burke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:04:40 +0100

Hello,

Version 7 looks good to me (nice job). Some bugs / features not being 
tracked as far as I can see:

Bugs:
-------

A. We decided to remove phrase "media server" - e.g. 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/speechsc/current/msg00631.html. Looks 
like v7 has cleaned this up nicely except for the Abstract. Change "media 
service resources" to "media processing resources" and "media server" to 
"media processing server" for consistency with rest of text.

Features:
------------

B. Managing big grammars: 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/speechsc/current/msg01404.html. What I 
believe was agreeable:
1. Note that MRCP servers may choose to centrally cache grammars
2. Note that the MRCP server may choose to use a stale grammar temporarily 
to avoid latency when a HTTP revalidation is compile but must return a 
Warning
3. Using Cache-Control: max-stale=0 overrides point 2
4. Grammar caching ought to be SHOULD not MAY
5. Are DEFINE-GRAMMAR handles (Content-Id) global? On one hand, we don't 
want to have to ship large payloads to the MRCP server every call (e.g. if 
grammar is inline). On the other, does an MRCP server have to remember the 
Content-Id<->URI or Content-Id<-> document mapping forever? So perhaps it 
has to be the former. At least the operation should be clarified...

C. START-OF-INPUT to include a InputType field (dtmf or speech) - 
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/speechsc/current/msg01454.html

D. Track this at least for a future version. There is no mechanism for 
linking a control channel to more than one media stream as would be 
necessary for a video evolution. One simple approach (which at least 
illustrates the point) is to have a a=cmid:1,2 where a=mid:1 is an audio 
stream and a=mid:2 is a video stream. Alternatively use RFC 3388. We have a 
need for this today for support video media in VoiceXML. See - 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/speechsc/current/msg01281.html

- Dave

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "David R Oran" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF SPEECHSC (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 7:34 PM
Subject: [Speechsc] Driving toward Last Call on MRCPv2

> By now you folks should have noticed that -07 was posted by Sarvi.  This 
> was a major revision, incorporating resolutions to the vast  majority of 
> the open issues, a conversion from Word to XML source,  and a 
> comprehensive technical and editorial review by both co-chairs.
>
> In order to keep track of the issues raised on the mailing list and  to 
> manage the editing process, the chairs and authors have been using  the 
> "roundup" issue tracking tool. It is being hosted on  softarmor.com with 
> the gracious help of Dean Willis. We kept it  private for the creation 
> of -07, but are now ready to open it to the  whole working group to review 
> the changes and see the status of the  remaining open issues.
>
> The chairs would like to have no more than one further revision of  the 
> specification and be ready for WG last call by the end of August. 
> Therefore, please:
> - make sure any issues you have reaised and were supposed to be  addressed 
> in -07 in fact have been marked resolved in the issue  tracker and 
> correctly reflected in -07
> - review the open issues and indicate on the mailing list if there  you 
> feel their are any which MUST be resolved prior to going to last  call. 
> Unless we hear otherwise, we would like to defer non-critical 
> We would like to declare rough consensus on each of the open issues  as 
> soon as feasible, and surface any new issues and deal with them 
> expeditiously.
>
> I know this is mid-summer and people have lots of other things to  think 
> about. Some of your time and energy on this effort will be of  great 
> assistance to the working group in completing our main piece of  technical 
> work with minimal further delay.
>
> Thanks and Regards,