Subject: [Speermint] I-D Action:draft-ietf-speermint-terminology-15.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:10:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : SPEERMINT Terminology
	Author(s)       : D. Malas, D. Meyer
	Filename        : draft-ietf-speermint-terminology-15.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2008-01-29

This document defines the terminology that is to be used in 
describing Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect (SPEERMINT).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speermint-terminology-15.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-speermint-terminology-15.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speermint-terminology-15.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Speermint mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speermint

---

From: "Daryl Malas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:41:17 -0700

This version of the draft includes updates to the following sections:

Section 2. Context
Section 4.2.3 Assisted Peering (REMOVED)
Section 4.3.1 Location Routing Function
Section 4.3.2 Location Routing Function (Previously Look-Up Function)
Section 5 - Minor add to "Common dynamic policies"
Section 9 & 10

--Daryl

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Speermint] I-D Action:draft-ietf-speermint-terminology-15.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session PEERing for Multimedia
INTerconnect Working Group of the IETF.

This document defines the terminology that is to be used in describing
Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect (SPEERMINT).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speermint-terminology-15.
txt

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

---

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:46:40 +0000

Daryl,

Thanks, it's getting there. A few more things I noticed:

1. The document uses the words "application" and "session" in a number
of places, and I feel there may be some inconsistency. For example:
"A SIP Service Provider (or SSP) is an entity that provides 
   application services utilizing SIP signaling to its customers."
Should it really be "application services", or should it be "session
services". Consider a service provider that provides no more than SIP
proxy functionality. It can hardly be said to provide application
services to its users, so according to the definition it is not an SSP.
There is just one other instance of "application". I wonder if the two
instances should be changed to "session".

2. "In some cases, some entity (usually a 3rd party or federation) 
   provides peering assistance to the originating SSP by providing this 
   function.  The assisting entity may provide information relating to 
   direct (Section 4.2.1) or indirect (Section 4.2.2) peering as 
   necessary."
Two comments. First, should "peering assistance" be changed to
"assistance".
Second, this paragraph occurs within 4.3.2 on LRF. Should a similar
statement be added to 4.3.1 on LuF?

3. "In this case it is generally required that a 
   trust relationship is established between the originating SSP and the

   transit network on one side; and, the transit network representing 
   the termination network on the other side."
Two comments: First, in order to complement the first part, should the
latter part be rewritten as "; and the transit network and the
terminating SSP on the other side."?
Second, on the use of the term "transit network". Is this intentional,
or would it be better to talk about "transit SSP". In this context a
transit network must provide functionality at the session layer
(otherwise it would not be considered as indirect peering), so doesn't
this make it an SSP?

John

> From: Daryl Malas [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 29 January 2008 21:41
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Speermint] RE: I-D 
> Action:draft-ietf-speermint-terminology-15.txt
> 
> Subject: [Speermint] I-D 
> Action:draft-ietf-speermint-terminology-15.txt 
>