Subject: [ssm] summary of changes in draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07.txt

From: Hugh Holbrook <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:28:27 -0700

Ok, draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07.txt is now available in the ID archives.
I am optimistic that this version can pass through the IESG review.

A nice colorized rfcdiff html page indicating what changed between the
-06 version and the -07 draft is available at this page:

http://thoop.net/ssm/draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07-from-6.diff.html

The rest of this mail summarizes all the changes in the -07 version. 
My first submission yesterday got rejected by the idnits bot because
it had stale boilerplate.  I fixed that and discovered that the
document is now over 15 pages, so idnits complained that it lacked a
table of contents, which I added.

While I was trying to convince nroff to generate a ToC, I did one more
pass over the IESG review comments to identify anything that might
block the passage through the IESG review.  In doing so I realized
that I had not  yet responded fully to Spencer Dawkins' gen-arts
review, so I added a few sentences in response to his review.  I sent
them to Spencer, and he seemed happy with my proposed changes.

One of the comments he made was asking for clarification why 232.0.0.0
is a reserved address that IANA should not allocate.  [The original
motiviation for this was to have one
"reserved" address that is unused, which can be convenient in an
implementation, similar to the way that 224.0.0.0 is reserved for ASM.
 Steve Deering originally suggested this, I think.]  So I added some
text to 4.3 to clarify.

While editing that section, I remembered a comment that someone made
along the way (I think it was Alex or maybe Pekka) asking why there
isn't an IPv6 reserved address for the same reason.  This is basiclaly
just an oversight, and I think this issue could legitimately come up
in the IESG review, so I added some text to 4.3 (SSM address
allocation) and Section 9 (IANA considerations) to give
FF3x::4000:0000 consideration similar to 232.0.0.0.  FF3x::4000:0000
comes out of the space that is already reserved for IANA allocation,
so I don't think this has any operational or practical impact for
anyone who is compliant with the current draft.  But if anyone has any
opinion on this (either way) I'd appreciate your input at this point,
since this is the one change in this revision that is not basically a
clarification.

Spencer also requested a clarification as to how a receiver can detect
the SPI collision problem (documented in Section 7.2).  So I added one
sentence to section 7 explaining this.

The only other change in the -07 version that weren't in the diffs I
sent out yesterday is to add a table of contents, and to update a few
of the references.

[And of course there are the changes I mentioned in yesterday's mail
-- the primary one of which adding section 7.1 and the moving of the
text that was in 7.1 to 7.2, to address the security DISCUSS.]

-Hugh

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Oct 5, 2005 12:50 PM
Subject: [ssm] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07.txt
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Source-Specific Multicast Working
Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Source-Specific Multicast for IP
        Author(s)       : H. Holbrook, B. Cain
        Filename        : draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07.txt
        Pages           : 18
        Date            : 2005-10-5

IP version 4 (IPv4) addresses in the 232/8 (232.0.0.0 to
232.255.255.255) range are designated as source-specific multicast (SSM)
destination addresses and are reserved for use by source-specific
applications and protocols.  For IP version 6 (IPv6), the address prefix
FF3x::/32 is reserved for source-specific multicast use.  This document
defines an extension to the Internet network service that applies to
datagrams sent to SSM addresses and defines the host and router
requirements to support this extension.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ssm-arch-07.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
ssm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ssm

_______________________________________________
ssm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ssm