Subject: [Stackevo] 5g slicing

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 10:44:25 -0700

Howdy,

Some of you may have seen this on the 5gandIP list, but for those who did
not, you might find
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dong-network-slicing-problem-statement-00
interesting.

As we have discussed in the past, a lot of this ends up looking like a VPN
that used ATM in CBR mode, but Stewart, Mach, and Jie have called out a few
difference that are probably critical.  In particular, they call out a
requirement for the slice manager to control topology and network function
placement that isn't there in some previous iterations of this world.  You
can easily see how NVO fits into the slicing world; they discuss it
explicitly in section 2.3, but you can see the gleam off a lot of the other
chrome.

They are looking for a home for the work (not the problem statement itself,
but the slicing work).  Any thoughts on where it might be best tackled,
since it is an architecture-within-an-architecture problem?

Ted