Subject: [Stackevo] Brief otes from 11 Sep 2017 meeting

From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 23:29:51 +0200

Attending:

Brian Trammell, IAB Lead
Erik Nordmark
Mirja Kühlewind
Spencer Dawkins
Aaron Falk
Lee Howard
Jeff Tantsura
Eliot Lear
Martin Thomson
Dave Thaler
Suresh Krishnan
Ted Hardie

(1) MaRNEW workshop report review: Spencer and Natasha to release a
community-review ready version of this report.  An updated revision with
Natasha's edits is at https://github.com/MaRNEW/Report, and there are a
few nits from Spencer also to be applies. Natasha sends regrets
(traveling), but I think we can confirm next steps with Spencer quickly.

Please review (esp. section 8) and send PRs / feedback to Natasha and
Spencer. Target is to send to the IAB in two weeks.

(3) draft-thomson-use-it-or-lose-it: a short IAB-stream document on the
desirability of greasing or at least greasing-like architectural
patterns. Good input from the discussion on the list so far.

Martin got some good feedback about the idea, will hopefully spin a
draft today, with a target toward having something ready to send the IAB
for adoption in early October timeframe.

(2) A statement based on draft-hardie-path-signals? Discussion on the
list indicates that a short draft along the lines of the present
revision would be most useful; we should quickly determine if this is
ready for review by the larger IAB for adoption on the stream.

Ted would like to rev the draft to add some discussion of concerns
raised with this architectural pattern re: information available for
fingerprinting, and intends to have something to send to the IAB for
adoption in the early October timeframe.

(5) Next steps on the broader encryption question: should we consider a
workshop focusing on the impact of encryption network performance
measurement and management in general?

Mirja will work to send a proposal to privsec / stackevo programs for
further elaboration and putting together a PC. Eliot raises the point
that this might not be a single venue.

(4) Next steps on draft-trammell-whats-an-endpoint: based on discussion
to date, it seems that this question might be muddled enough that no
insights will fall out of it after all, but maybe the questions that it
leads to are useful. No real progress on this on the list so far.

Discussion on this was largely in the penumbra of other discussions on
related issues; since the "what is an endpoint" question is tied to
intent and identity, it's related to path signaling (as well as the
privsec program's discussion about TLS as a two party protocol, and the
entire TLS interception minefield). Discussion on this framing to
continue on list, but until that comes to some

---

From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 23:31:53 +0200

Here's the N missing from the subject -> n

And the conclusion to the message, below...

> continue on list, but until that comes to some

... conclusion, we probably shouldn't work too much on the document.

'Night,

Brian