Subject: [stir] Last Call: <draft-ietf-stir-threats-03.txt> (Secure Telephone Identity Threat Model) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 17:00:59 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Secure Telephone Identity
Revisited WG (stir) to consider the following document:
- 'Secure Telephone Identity Threat Model'
  <draft-ietf-stir-threats-03.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-07-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   As the Internet and the telephone network have become increasingly
   interconnected and interdependent, attackers can impersonate or
   obscure calling party numbers when orchestrating bulk commercial
   calling schemes, hacking voicemail boxes or even circumventing multi-
   factor authentication systems trusted by banks.  This document
   analyzes threats in the resulting system, enumerating actors,
   reviewing the capabilities available to and used by attackers, and
   describing scenarios in which attacks are launched.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-threats/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-threats/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.