Subject: [stir] Last Call: <draft-ietf-stir-passport-09.txt> (Personal Assertion Token (PASSporT)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 14:40:10 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Secure Telephone Identity
Revisited WG (stir) to consider the following document:
- 'Personal Assertion Token (PASSporT)'
  <draft-ietf-stir-passport-09.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-11-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines a method for creating and validating a token
   that cryptographically verifies an originating identity, or more
   generally a URI or telephone number representing the originator of
   personal communications.  The PASSporT token is cryptographically
   signed to protect the integrity of the identity the originator and to
   verify the assertion of the identity information at the destination.
   The cryptographic signature is defined with the intention that it can
   confidently verify the originating persona even when the signature is
   sent to the destination party over an insecure channel.  PASSporT is
   particularly useful for many personal communications applications
   over IP networks and other multi-hop interconnection scenarios where
   the originating and destination parties may not have a direct trusted
   relationship.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-passport/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-passport/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.