Subject: [stir] Document Action: 'STIR Out-of-Band Architecture and Use Cases' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-stir-oob-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 10:39:56 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'STIR Out-of-Band Architecture and Use Cases'
  (draft-ietf-stir-oob-07.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-oob/

Technical Summary

   The PASSporT format defines a token that can be carried by signaling
   protocols, including SIP, to cryptographically attest the identify of
   callers.  Not all telephone calls use Internet signaling protocols,
   however, and some calls use them for only part of their signaling
   path.  This document describes use cases that require the delivery of
   PASSporT objects outside of the signaling path, and defines
   architectures and semantics to provide this functionality.

Working Group Summary

  This document began at the earliest stages of the STIR WG, though many
  participants felt it was a distraction from the core work of the WG and
  asked that focused effort start after the primary in-band work was completed.

  This document has received review from a significant subset of the STIR
  working group.

Personnel

  The document shepherd is Robert Sparks.
  The responsible area director is Adam Roach.