Subject: [stir] Protocol Action: 'PASSporT Extension for Diverted Calls' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-stir-passport-divert-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 07:43:37 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'PASSporT Extension for Diverted Calls'
  (draft-ietf-stir-passport-divert-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-passport-divert/

Technical Summary

   PASSporT is specified in RFC 8225 to convey cryptographically-signed
   information about the people involved in personal communications.
   This document extends PASSporT to include an indication that a call
   has been diverted from its original destination to a new one.  This
   information can greatly improve the decisions made by verification
   services in call forwarding scenarios.  Also specified here is an
   encapsulation mechanism for nesting a PASSporT within another
   PASSporT that assists relying parties in some diversion scenarios.

Working Group Summary

  The STIR WG reached consensus, and there is strong support for
  publication of this document.

Document Quality

  Several people have expressed interest in implementing this
  specification.

Personnel

   Russ Housley is the document shepherd.
   Murray "Trouble" Kucherawy is the responsible Area Director.