Subject: [Suit] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-suit-architecture-14: (with COMMENT)

From: Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 10:15:56 -0800

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-suit-architecture-14: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-suit-architecture/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I was surprised to see that there no Normative references -- are there no other
documents required to be read to understand the architecture?

It seems to me that I-D.ietf-suit-information-model should be a Normative
reference because it contains an "in-depth examination of the security
considerations of the architecture" (this document).

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 13:20:12 -0500

Alvaro:

It is an informational document, and many informational documents only have informational references.

Russ

> On Nov 4, 2020, at 1:15 PM, Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 14:30:02 -0500

Russ:

Hi!

Yes…but the definition of a Normative reference is independent of the
status of the document. [1]

In any case, this is a non-blocking comment.  I trust the authors and the
AD to do the right thing.

Thanks!

Alvaro.

[1]
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/normative-informative-references/

On November 4, 2020 at 1:20:16 PM, Russ Housley ([email-masked])
wrote:

Alvaro:

It is an informational document, and many informational documents only have
informational references.

Russ