Subject: [Suit] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-suit-information-model-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 06:25:21 -0800

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-suit-information-model-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-suit-information-model/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

General comment: I find the repetition of "Manifest Element:" in all the
section headers redundant and would suggest removing it.

= Section 3.3.1 =

s/Vendor A creates a UUID based on their domain name:/Vendor A creates a UUID
based on a domain name it controls:/

= Section 3.8 =

"This element is REQUIRED and MUST be present" --> second normative keyword is
redundant

= Section 4.2.11 =

The term "Owner," which is not defined in draft-ietf-suit-architecture, is
sometimes capitalized as a term of art, and sometimes not. It seems like it
should either be defined in this document and capitalized consistently, or not
capitalized anywhere. (There is also one instance in Section 4.2.16).

Network Operator is also not consistently capitalized.

= Section 4.3.2 =

"Devices MUST know with fine granularity" --> this requirement doesn't seem
actionable as written, maybe re-phrase without the normative language?

= Section 4.5 =

In general I think it's preferable for normative statements to indicate which
party is responsible for fulfilling them. Saying "It MUST be possible" can
leave things ambiguous about who is supposed to take responsibility. It would
be better to say "Manifest authors MUST ..." or something along those lines.