Subject: [Suit] SUIT manifest: suit-parameter-uri ... reference?

From: Christian M. Amsüss <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 17:07:17 +0100

Hello SUIT authors,

toying with the RIOT implementation of SUIT I was surprised it required
the suit-parameter-uri that points from the manifest to the firmware to
not support relative references, even though in their deployment the
device obtains the manifest from the web.

The current wording in suit-manifest is ambiguous to me: On the one hand
it says "a URI" (and not "a URI reference"), on the other hand it
compares it to Tag 32 (which is somewhat misleadingly named "URI" but
described to match URI-reference), and makes rules about fragment-only
references.

Some clarification (saying "A URI reference from which" could suffice)
would help here.

If this is more than an editorial oversight (that is, if
neither-full-nor-fragment references have not been considered), I hope
that relative references stay allowed, as they are useful during ad-hoc
network situations.

Best regards
Christian

-- 
To use raw power is to make yourself infinitely vulnerable to greater powers.
  -- Bene Gesserit axiom