Subject: Two new SLP 'printer:' attributes from Printer MIB

From: Ira McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 99 21:37:28 EST

Copies: SLP Working Group <[email-masked]>
        IPP Working Group <[email-masked]>

Hi folks,                                     Thursday (4 February 1999)

In the last draft of the SLP 'printer:' template, I added the IPP/1.0
'multiple-document-handling-supported' attribute, to replace the former
Salutation 'paper-output' attribute.  On reflection, I believe that this
attribute is far too complicated and of marginal value in the 'printer:'
template (the explanation in the IPP/1.0 Model runs to several pages and
still depends on further clarifications in other attributes elsewhere in
the IPP/1.0 Model spec).

I propose to delete 'multiple-document-handling-supported' and replace
it with 'stacking-order-supported' and 'output-features-supported',
derived from the Printer MIB 'prtOutputFeaturesGroup', as shown below.
These proposed two new attributes are MUCH closer in content to the
previously removed Salutation 'paper-output' attribute.

I believe that, with this modification, the SLP 'printer:' template is
now aligned with IPP/1.0 (submitted as Informational I-Ds) and Printer
MIB (RFC 1759).  It should be issued as an Internet-Draft in the near
future, following the final updates to the IPP documents now in progress
for IPP/1.1 (adding 'ipp:' scheme and support of TLS 1.0, RFC 2246),
which will be submitted as 'standards track' I-Ds to the IESG.

Please send your comments to both the SLP WG and IPP WG lists.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (IPP WG member, outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  716-461-5667

************************************************************************

        stacking-order-supported = STRING L M O
            unknown
            # Printer MIB 'prtOutputStackingOrder'
            # (Compare with Salutation 'paper-output')
            # The possible stacking order of pages as they are printed
            # and ejected from this printer.
            # If this printer information is not known to the SA,
            # then this attribute shall always be set to 'unknown'.
            unknown, first-to-last, last-to-first

        output-features-supported = STRING L M O
            unknown
            # Printer MIB 'prtOutputFeaturesGroup'
            # (Compare with Salutation 'paper-output')
            # The possible output features supported by this printer.
            # 'bursting' == Printer MIB 'prtOutputBursting'
            # 'decollating' == Printer MIB 'prtOutputDecollating'
            # 'page-collating' == Printer MIB 'prtOutputPageCollated'
            # 'offset-stacking' == Printer MIB 'prtOutputOffestStacking'
            # If this printer information is not known to the SA,
            # then this attribute shall always be set to 'unknown'.
            unknown, bursting, decollating, page-collating,
            offset-stacking

************************************************************************