Subject: New API Draft

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:02:33 -0800 (PST)

I just posted draft-ietf-srvloc-api-08.txt to the IETF Drafts Editor. 
The intent of this draft is to track changes in the protocol and
service type template drafts as they went through IETF last call. 
Here are the changes:

1) Cleaned up bibliography to remove references not cited and update
draft references.

2) Changed UTF8 to UTF-8.

3) Removed the net.slp.lifetimeBounds property, since the min and
max lifetime properties have been removed from the protocol.

4) Added the net.slp.DAAttributes and net.slp.SAAttributes properties. They are
a comma-separated list of parenthesized attribute/value list pairs in wire 
format for attributes that the DA or SA wants to advertise. The 
SA attribute property is typically not set in the configuration file but
rather by SAs on a case by case basis.

5) The net.slp.interfaces property now refers to interfaces on
which the DA and SA should listen only. Multicast transmission should
only occur from one interface.

6) Added a section on how to handle client requests for services
of type service:directory-agent and service:service-agent. These
must be treated differently than other service types; otherwise,
the client won't get the results they expect.

7) Clarified scope discovery when DHCP is available.

8) Removed the usLifetime parameter from the SLPReg() callback because
the min and max lifetime bounds were dropped from the protocol. Also
removed wording saying that the lifetime of the ServiceURL object
is changed upon return from Advertiser.register() for the same reason.

9) Added SLPGetRefreshInterval() to the C API and 
ServiceLocationManager.getRefershInterval() to return the maximum
of the min-refresh-interval properties for the DAs. If the SA
uses this value, it can be assured that no DA will reject its
refreshes.

10) Added the actual values to the Java integer constants, for
portablity.

Please let me know if there are any errors or omissions.

		jak