Subject: Re: high-level questions

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:47:25 -0700 (PDT)

>
>So, where does that leave people who want to use SLP today?  We don't
>want to implement any SLP pieces ourselves; we just want to use it.  Is
>it too early for commercial use?  Will this change with v2?
>
>Thanks for your input.
>

There is an implementation of SLPv2 available at www.srvloc.org. It
is a UA and SA and free for noncommercial use. There is an open
source DA being implemented for Linux. These are options for 
reference code.

As far as whether SLPv1 or SLPv2 should be implemented, the SLPv2 protocol
corrects numerous design flaws and is preferable, except for backward
comaptiblity situations. 

		jak

---

From: Jonathan Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:59:58 -0700 (PDT)

Rand,

There is a mini implementation for Linux which Erik Guttman wrote; this currently 
implements the UA interfaces, and can serve as an SA with a proxy reg file. This 
is available from www.svrloc.org. Note that you need to negotiate a new license 
with Sun if you wish to use it commercially.

A full production release with all APIs (C and Java) will be in Solaris 8.

Jon

>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:31:15 -0700
>From: Rand Clark <[email-masked]>
>X-Accept-Language: en
>Mime-Version: 1.0
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: high-level questions
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>
>I have addressed some of these questions to James Kempf who has
>graciously replied.  I am sending this to the whole group so as to
>relieve the burden from him.  Thanks James.
>
>I am exploring the viability of our application using SLP to register
>itself as a service.  I am having trouble understanding the state of SLP
>implementations in the real-world today.  I am interested in available
>APIs for accessing SLP.
>
>So far I know that Netware implements SLPv1.  Winsock 2 APIs can be used
>on both Netware servers and Win32 clients.  Are there any other ways to
>access SLP?
>
>James indicated that other than Netware clients, there might not be any
>other C interfaces available.   I know that support for the JNDI v1
>provider was withdrawn.
>
>Rand Clark
>B2 Systems, Inc.

---

From: "C Balu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 21:06:05 -0600

Novell has implemented the SLPv1 protocol as part of the NDS for Solaris product. This includes the UA and SA and implements one of the early Draft API Specs for applications to access the SLP.

Balu

>>> <[email-masked]> 04/16 12:30 AM >>>

..

>it too early for commercial use?  Will this change with v2?

Mac OS 8.5 includes an implementation of SLPv1, both UA and SA.  We're
using it commercially in our popular ShareWay IP product
(http://www.opendoor.com/ShareWay/), which implements AFP (Apple Filing
Protocol) over IP.  In other words, Macintosh file sharing over intranets
and the Internet.  The only thing missing was AppleTalk's ease of finding
services, most of which we were able to provide through SLP.

So yes, it's ready for commercial use in small and medium sized
environments.  Without commercially available DAs, however, it's probably
not quite ready for large organizations yet (IMHO of course).

+-----+
|     |   Alan Oppenheimer
|     |   Open Door Networks, Inc.
|o    |   Internet solutions as easy to use as the Macintosh itself
|     |   [email-masked] 
|     |   http://www.opendoor.com 
+-----+