Subject: Re: SLP API question

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:01:57 -0700 (PDT)

>
>It appears to me that the API draft (rfc2614) has an
>incompleteness too it that would cause a rather serious inter-operability
>problem.  The definition for some of the configuration properties
>(net.slp.isBroadcastOnly for example) are read-only.  According to the text,
>attempts to change it after the configuration file has been read are
>ignored.  I do not, however, find a function to read in the configuration
>file.  I see a routine in the mini-slp reference implementation, but this
>routine is not part of the API and so any other implementation of the
>libraries may do this differently.  If I wrote code in my application to
>parse and read the configuration file, I would not be able set the read-only
>properties.  Have I missed something here?
>

The intent is that the file be read in by the library implementation and
that the read-only properties be protected from modification by
the API property modification functions (SLPSetProperty() for C). Other
properties which are not read-only can be modified by this function.
RFC 2614 describes how and when the properties should be read in
by the library implementation. The actual mechanism for reading
them is encapsluated within the library. It may be different on
different operating systems (Registery in Win95 v.s. a file on VMS
for example).

		jak