Subject: SLP API question

From: "Filion, Joseph L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:21:22 -0400

Hello,

I have just recently began working with SLP, and have also just recently
joined this dl, so forgive me if this has already been covered.

It appears to me that the API draft (rfc2614) has an
incompleteness too it that would cause a rather serious inter-operability
problem.  The definition for some of the configuration properties
(net.slp.isBroadcastOnly for example) are read-only.  According to the text,
attempts to change it after the configuration file has been read are
ignored.  I do not, however, find a function to read in the configuration
file.  I see a routine in the mini-slp reference implementation, but this
routine is not part of the API and so any other implementation of the
libraries may do this differently.  If I wrote code in my application to
parse and read the configuration file, I would not be able set the read-only
properties.  Have I missed something here?

Thanks,
Joe Filion
Xerox Corporation
[email-masked]

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:51:02 +0200 (MET DST)

Joe,

The intent was that the application itself wouldn't change the properties
once they were loaded.  The API specifies how an application can get or
set properties but leaves it to the implementation how the configuration
file is loaded (when the SLP library is initialized).  The properties
which are read only are considered to not be ones which are 'system'
rather than 'application' specific properties.

Erik