From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 16:43:08 -0800

Copies: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
        Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
        SVRLOC WG <[email-masked]>
        IPP WG <[email-masked]>

Hi folks,                                       Wednesday (8 March 2000)

I've just sent the final version of 'Definition of the Printer Abstract
Service Type v2.0' to the Internet-Drafts editor and posted a shadow
copy on the PWG server at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_SLP/draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-06.tx
t

Erik - please register this 'printer:' template w/ IANA as v2.0 - thanks.
Carl-Uno - this 'printer:' template is technically aligned with our
LDAP 'printer' schema work-in-progress.

All changes from the previous (January 2000) draft are based on IETF IPP
WG reviews and our collaboration on an LDAP 'printer' schema.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (consulting architect at Sharp Labs America)
  High North Inc
  [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changes from previous version (January 2000)

1)  Changed title to 'Definition of Printer Abstract Service Type v2.0'
    (to clarify that it's NOT compatible with the January 2000 v1.0)

2)  Changed 'template-version' attribute to '2.0'
    (for IANA-registered version of template)

3)  Added 'printer-' prefix to all attribute names that were not
    previously prefixed with 'printer-' for coherence with LDAP and
    other directory systems with a flat identifier namespace
    (per request of Pat Fleming, IBM)

4)  Added 'printer-xri-supported' compound attribute to replace the
    former 'printer-uri-supported', 'uri-authentication-supported',
    and 'uri-security-supported' parallel ordered attributes
    (per request of Hugo Parra, Novell)

5)  Corrected 'printer-delivery-orientation-supported' to be
    multi-valued and NOT single-valued, consistent with IPP
    (per request of Ken Jones, Sun)

6)  Reduced conformance requirement from REQUIRED to RECOMMENDED for
    'printer-location',
    'printer-natural-language-configured',
    'printer-generated-natural-language-supported',
    'printer-document-format-supported', and
    'printer-compression-supported'
    (per request of Ken Jones, Sun)

7)  Added new section 6 'Summary of Recommended Attributes' and
    section 6.1 'Rationale for Recommended Attributes'
    (per request of Ken Jones, Sun)

8)  Revised section 10 'Internationalization Considerations'
    (per request of Pat Fleming, IBM)

9)  Added proper references for RFC 2246, 2251, 2396, and 2617
    (per request of Pat Fleming, IBM)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copies: "Internet Drafts Editor" <[email-masked]>
        "Pete St. Pierre" <[email-masked]>
        "Ira McDonald" <[email-masked]>

I-D Editor,                                     Wednedsay (8 March 2000)

SVRLOC:

Please place this document in the Internet-Drafts repository named:

    <draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-06.txt> (March 2000)

It replaces the previous:

    <draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-05.txt> (January 2000)

This draft has been updated based on the IETF IPP WG's final review of
the previous (January 2000) draft and recent experience translating this
SLP 'printer' template to an equivalent LDAP 'printer' schema.  It is a
a conforming superset of Appendix E 'Generic Directory Schema' IPP/1.1
Model, <draft-ietf-ipp-model-v11-06.txt> (work-in-progress, March 2000).

Thanks very much,
- Ira McDonald (SVRLOC WG and IPP WG member)
  High North Inc
  [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------------