Subject: Looking for SLPv1 UA and SA source code

From: "Wisor, Eugene" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:48:05 -0700

Greetings,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me out with a SLP development
issue.  Our company, Microtest, developed a Linux-based product that
integrates in a Novell NetWare 5 environment but does not currently support
the SLP protocol. I am investigating adding SLP support to our product.  

In summary, I believe we need implement SLPv1 support to work in a NetWare 5
environment.  Can we get a copy of the SLP beta source code that implements
the SLPv1 RCF 2165?  I believe the Beta1 release of the SLP source code you
developed supports the SLPv1 RCF.  Listed below are the details as to why we
need this old beta code.
 
Initially, I signed up for the SLPv2 beta and downloaded the latest SLPv2
source code from the Sun web site. Later I have determined that NetWare 5
currently implements SLP v1 (RFC 2165).  The most recent information I found
on Novell's web site indicates Novell's SLP v2 implementation plans are on
hold.  Listed below is from Novell Support TID #10024584 titled "What is the
64K limitation with SLP":

		"This issue is being addressed by SLP version 2. I do not
know when we will do this because SLP V2 is still in draft RFC mode and we
will not implement this until it is an official RFC. If this does become a
problem at a large customer site you can start to use multiple scopes and
DA's to get around this. For now the applications using SLP have been
getting around this issue. "

Basically, our product must act as both a SLP service agent and a SLP user
agent.  The SLP service agent must reply to NetWare client SLPv1 user agent
requests and the service agent must also interact with NetWare 5 SLPv1
directory agents.  The SLP user agent must communicate with both NetWare 5
SLPv1 service and directory agents to resolve the address of a NetWare
server in the NDS tree.

I read through the SLPv2 documentation and RFC 2608 to determine if
integrating the Sun SLPv2 source code into our product will function in a
Novell NetWare 5 environment. I believe it will not work.  Here is an
excerpt from the SLP v2 RCF #2608:

		"SLPv1 UAs will not receive replies from SLPv2 SAs and SLPv2
UAs will not receive replies from SLPv1 SAs.  In order to interoperate UAs
and SAs of different versions require a SLPv2 DA to be present on the
network which supports both protocols."

Therefore a Novell NetWare client acting as a SLP v1 user agent can not
communicate directly with SLP v2 service agents.  Also our product acting as
a SLP v2 user agent could not communicate directly with a Novell NetWare 5
server acting as SLP v1 service agent.  Both scenarios require a SLP v2
Directory agent to successfully communicate.

We can not force Novell to deploy SLPv2 Directory agents to maintain
compatibility with SLPv2. Therefore, either we must wait until Novell
updates to the SLPv2 RFC (unknown when this will occur), or we must
implement SLPv1 support.

To reiterate my request, can we obtain a copy of the old SLP beta 1 source
code that implements the SLPv1 RCF 2165?

Thanks in advance,

Eugene Wisor
Microtest, Inc.
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: John Zic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:37:15 +1100

Wisor,

Alex Cheng wrote a Java version of SLPv1 as part of his undergraduate
thesis project that I supervised while at the University of New South
Wales last year.  It works pretty well but probably needs the thesis
report to explain its workings.

Let me know....