Subject: commercial implementation for solaris, when?

From: james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:19:25 -0700

friends--

I didn't see my question in the archive.

I've been evaluating the potential of using Erik Guttman's reference
implementation of SLPv2 as a kind of middleware component in an OLTP
system, and I've seen a lot I like.  However, it looks like there is
still not a good reference implementation of the DA server.  That's
not a showstopper for us, because our system is a small-scale network
at present, but we have requirements to scale large enough that a DA
would be the right choice.

What I would like to know is this: is anybody developing a commercial
quality implementation (for Solaris SPARC) of the full protocol?  I'd
be an awful lot less nervous about using this "research code" in a
production OLTP system if I knew that there would be a commercial
quality implementation I could plan to obtain in the future.

I can participate in a public development effort of a commercial
quality open source implementation of SLP for 'nix boxen.  What I
can't do is commit to developing a full implementation of SLP entirely
within my little corner of WarpSpeed Communications, using only the
code I can currently pull off the Internet.

-- 
j h woodyatt <[email-masked]> | "[It was] the immortal words of
coder, engineering services      | Socrates who said, 'I drank what?'"
warpspeed communications, inc.   |    --Chris Knight, in _Real_Genius_

---

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:33:31 -0700 (PDT)

>quality implementation I could plan to obtain in the future.

Solaris 2.8 has SLP built in, including a production quality DA. 
To enable it, you only need to rename the configuration file. See the SLP docs 
shipped with 2.8 for more info.

>code I can currently pull off the Internet.

Do you want the DA on Linux or Solaris? I think the Solaris code
has been released under the SCSL.

		jak