Subject: Questions about RFC 2608 dated June 1999

From: zchen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:51:57 -0400

To whom it may concern,

I am studying RFC 2608 "SLP Version 2" dated Jun 1999 and have a
couple of questions:
(1) On Section 8.6, Page 25, just under the format of SAAdvert, a
sentence
says "The SA responds only to multicast SA discovery requests which
either include
no <scope-list> or a scope which they are configured to use." Can you
tell me
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
in what situation where the SA responds to multicast SA discovery
requests (by SAAdvert) with a scope they are configured to use?

(2) On Page 40 and 41, Section 12.5 says "DAs must not accept
registrations
including authentication blocks for SLP SPIs which it is not configured
with, ...".
However, the following example shows that a DA does accept a service
registration
with an authentication block with which the DA was not be configured. Is
there
anything confusing there?

Thanks for your reply in advance!

Ziying Chen
School of Information Technology and Engineering
University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

---

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:21:20 -0700 (PDT)

>no <scope-list> or a scope which they are configured to use." Can you

Here's an example. Suppose an SA is configured with ScopeA, ScopeB,
and ScopeC. Suppose a multicast SAAddvert request comes in with no scope.
The SA responds to it. Suppose a multicast request comes in with
ScopeA. The SA responds to it. Suppose a multicast request comes
in with ScopeA, ScopeB, and ScopeC. The SA responds to that as well.
The SA also responds if just one of the scopes is OK, for
example, suppose the list containted ScopeC,ScopeD,ScopeE.

Now, suppose a multicast SAAdvert request comes in with ScopeD,ScopeE.
The SA doesn't respond to it.

>anything confusing there?

I don't see anything wrong with the example. The DA is configured
with SPIs X and Y, and it only accepts registrations with those
SPIs. It discards registrations for SPI Z.

		jak