Subject: SLP Simplicity Perspective

From: David McCormack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:01:46 -0400 (EDT)

Everyone on this list, from what I can see, wants to see increased 
usage of SLP.  Many people see that this can be attained through API 
simplification.  I agree that simplification is the path to increased 
acceptance and usage of SLP.

This said, I have noticed that much of the simplifications centre around 
the API from an API developers stand point.  This is important, but I 
feel that it is more important, in the context of promoting general 
acceptance and usage, that we consider the end users of the API in the 
simplification process.

For the most part, I envision there will only be a few API's, yet 
many uses of the API's due to the numerous possible services that 
could be SLP'ifed.  This being said, I think that we should consider 
some of the proposed changes to the API from an API users perspective.

My experiences of SLP API usage, have been very positive.  But, I 
have noticed a common set of functions which were repeatedly used, 
independent of the service I was SLP'ifying.  Most of these common 
functions dealt with the creation of the attribute list.

Opinions?  

What have other peoples experiences been during the usage in of 
the API?

~dM!