Subject: Re: BRe: typo in RFC 2614?

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:46:35 -0700 (PDT)

>
>  Speaking of typos, how are SLPGetProperty() and SLPSetProperty() to be
>handled?
>
>  On page 48 of RFC 2614, we are told that the return value of
>SLPGetProperty() is owned by the API and cannot be freed. Doesn't this
>result in a memory leak when a SLPSetProperty() is done and the previous
>value is no longer necessary?
>

The thinking here is that if the client wants to hold onto the contents,
they need to make a copy because it does not belong to them. If they
choose to hold it, then it may be deallocated from under them.
There are some Posix and Win32 API functions that work this way
(a good example escapes me at the moment). Since we
don't expect clients to use SLPSetProperty() often (if ever), this is not
expected to be a burden. 

		jak