Subject: [RFC 2614] Error Codes

From: David McCormack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:29:04 -0400 (EDT)

There appears to be a variation in the Error Codes, with respect to the
prepending of `SLP_'.  In RFC 2614 section 3.9, it lists a bunch of error
codes, eg.
  PARAMETER_BAD,
  NOT_IMPLEMENTED,
  ...

Conversely, through out that RFC, errors have a `SLP_' prefix.

Is this an error or a misunderstanding by me?

~dM!

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:16:56 +0200 (MET DST)

> Is this an error or a misunderstanding by me?

The idea was to separate out the 'errors' from the 'error codes.'
That is because in Java the error codes are not an 'enum' integer
return values but rather static fields in the ServiceLocationException
class.  Since RFC 2614 presents two language bindings, we wanted to
present the errors irrespective of the specific language.  The 'C'
bindings for these errors are indeed represented as Error Codes, and
these have the 'SLP_' prefix.

If this is confusing, we could rework it for rfc2614bis.

Erik