Subject: slpv2bis discussion: AttrRqst by srvtype?

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:28:50 +0200 (MET DST)

This concerns draft-guttman-svrloc-slpv2bis-00.txt, Section 3.2.1.

The following supports dropping the 'AttrRqst by Service Type' feature in 
SLPv2 as we move to draft standard:

     This was a poorly conceived feature.  Say I request all attributes
     of printers.  

       Printer A supports: (color-supported=true),(pages-per-minute=5)
       Printer B supports: (color-supported=false),(pages-per-minute=30)

     If I discover attributes by service type 'service:printer' I will
     get the following list:

        (color-supported=true,false),(pages-per-minute=5,30)

     What does this mean true and false ?!?  Well, that there is both
     some number of printers that support color and some number that
     don't.  Is this useful?

     Further, I then, reasonably, request a fast color printer:

        (&(color-supported=true)(pages-per-minute=30))

     I find nothing!  This is because there is no way to associate
     which server returned which attributes.  The feature
     causes more confusion than it helps in forming queries.

Erik