Subject: Re: SLP Local Scopes

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:00:01 -0400

You can use DHCP to configure scopes over any area you want.
You can also use multicast TTL or administratively scoped multicast
to control the area over which DAAdverts advertise scopes.
So I guess it depends on your definition of "local".

		jak
 
>Is there any facilities for defining scopes which are only locally
>viewable?
>
>~dM!
>

---

From: Evan Hughes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:21:05 -0400 (EDT)

What about forcing the request to stay on the local machine? Along the
lines of only doing requests for locally available services (such as X
servers).

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:35:03 +0200 (MET DST)

You can achieve that by unicasting a service request to 127.0.0.1 (the
loopback address), port 427 (the SLP port).  

If a multicast request is sent, it may or may not reach the local host.  
It is enabled by default with the sockets API, but it might be worth
checking with a getsockopt(...,IP_MULTICAST_LOOP,...) call.

In IPv6, one would use 'node-local' multicast scope.

Erik