Subject: Re: <none>

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 02:05:10 -0700

Dave,

Any possibility that your paper could be posted to a Web page of to the mailing
list?

		jak
>On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, James Kempf wrote:
>
>> We've been working on a wireless printer discovery daemon that uses SLP
>> (specifically mini-SLP) to discover printers capable of printing using
>> the LPR protocol. Currently, we're working with a provider of Windows printer
>> drivers for the LPR protocol to come up with a solution for Windows laptops.
>> We have a prototype working, and are refining it. This is primarily for
>> internal Sun use, but we are thinking about doing a trial deployment at
>> IETF once we get it solid, so people could print from their laptops, as
>> a kind of way to show that SLP has arrived and can do some really cool
>things.
>Myself and Evan Hughes are presenting a paper on how to the topics we 
>see as roadblocks to SLP mainstream usage.  It will cover how we made an 
>IPP(Internet Printing Protocol) implementation SLP aware, and also how SLP 
>can be used in a wireless network (IEEE 802.11), to perform a wireless 
>slide presentation.
>
>As for linux, all the work we have done is in linux, and the works we 
>have made will be GPL(Or some similar license), and placed back into the 
>linux community for all to use.
>
>~dM!
>