Subject: RE: FW: LDAP Printer schema last call comments

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:15:02 -0700

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the instant reply - I've forwarded your note
to the IETF IPP WG list, so the other reviewers see it.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, co-editor of LDAP Printer Schema

PS - I also copied Pat Fleming and Harry Lewis (IBM,
both co-editors).	

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Lambert [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 6:05 PM
To: McDonald, Ira
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: FW: LDAP Printer schema last call comments

McDonald, Ira wrote:
> FYI - some IBM folks found some bugs in their review of the
> LDAP printer schema I-D.

[ ... ]

> 2. Attributes definitions that define possible values that
>    are keywords should not have a substring matching rule
>    since the keywords don't contain patterns of characters
>    suitable for substring searches.  Specifically SUBSTR
>    caseIgnoreSubstringMatch should be removed from the
>    attribute definitions in the following sections of this
>    document: 4.4, 4.11, 4.12, 4.13, 4.14, 4.16, 4.19, 4.21,
>    4.22, 4.25, 4.31, 4.32, 4.33.

I disagree, in the following cases:

4.4	I want to search for "fr-ca" or "fr-fr"; the language
	distinction following the hyphen has no bearing on
	printing (unless the printer does spell/grammer
	chacking 8-)), so "fr-*" is reasonable.

4.13	Same as 4.4.

4.19	"staple*" or "staple-*-left" (just staple the thing,
	already!)

It's not clear where "postscript-level-*" would fit, if
anywhere.

-- Terry Lambert
-- Whistle Communications, Inc., an I.B.M. Company
-- [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
This is formal notice under California Assembly Bill 1629, enacted
9/26/98 that any UCE sent to my email address will be billed $50
per incident to the legally allowed maximum of $25,000.