Subject: Getting SCOPE configuration from DHCP in mixed environment

From: Kevin Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:34:11 -0700

So I have a question about the use of the DHCP options for SCOPE
administration.  Basically, what I envision is that in a network environment
where some users are using DHCP and others have static IP addresses (like
here at Apple), we will have a pseudo managed network where all the DHCP
clients will show up in their proper SCOPEs, but the statically configured
machines (especially servers!) will show up in the DEFAULT scope.

Has there been any discussion about this?  Or was there an assumption made
that even though a machine is has a static address, it should also find its
closest DHCP server and get the options from it?

Kevin

-- Kevin Arnold
-- Senior Software Engineer
-- Service Discovery Group
-- Apple Computer

---

From: Don Coolidge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:25:14 -0700 (PDT)

>closest DHCP server and get the options from it?

Non-DHCP-copnfigured clients always have that action available to them,
for all DHCP-configured options (not just SLP scopes). However, your 
scenario describes a system administrator's responsibility and lies 
outside the charter of this working group.

-- Don Coolidge