Subject: WG recharter?

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:45:02 +0200 (MET DST)

There is only one remaining work item in the SVRLOC WG charter -
completing the SLPv2 for IPv6 document.  This received only one
comment during the WG last call period and will be ready to go
back to WG last call within a week after the revision.

The question is:  Should we extend the charter to advance SLPv2
to Draft Standard?  

If the answer is yes, I want to have a list of milestones with
relatively fine granularity and strive for rapid progress.  We
have already identified issues we want to see addressed (features
to drop, mostly):  See 

  ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-guttman-svrloc-slpv2bis-01.txt

I think the following work items remain:

  1. Updates of RFC 2608 and potentially 2609, 2610 and 2614, if
     necessary.  Updates include clarification and dropping features
     which are not implemented or which are considered to have been
     a bad idea based on experience with RFC 2165 and RFC 2608.

  2. An interoperability report - which requires two independent
     implementations interoperate for each feature in the protocol.
     Anything which is not proven to be interoperable cannot be in 
     the Draft Standard.

To achieve this we'd need to:

  a. Arrive at concensus about the changes to 2608, 2609, 2610 & 2614.

  b. Produce the internet drafts which reflect that concensus and get
     them reviewed so that they can proceed through WG last call.

  c. Hold an interoperability testing session (or more than one if
     the first fails to achieve full interoperability).

  d. Persevere through IETF and IESG review of the specifications.

Please let me know, on the list or privately as you like, how *you*
can contribute to this effort.  In order to recharter the working group
I will have to be satisfied that folks want this to happen and are willing
to do the work it takes.  Especially important:  Who has independent
implementations of SLPv2 which they would bring to a week long
interoperability test (say December 2000)?

Erik Guttman
SVRLOC WG Chair