Subject: Re: Attribute API

From: Evan Hughes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:36:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, James Kempf wrote:
> I am planning on doing a 2614bis draft Sometime Soon. I will fold your 
> description contained herein into the draft, unless there is any
> objection from the list. We can decide, going forward, whether we want
> to add the attribute API to the RFC.

  If the attribute API is accepted, I'd also like to propose the
following:

Change the property accessesors from 

const char* SLPGetProperty( const char* name)
void SLPSetProperty( const char* name, const char* value ) 

to

SLPError SLPGetProperties(SLPAttributes &attr)
SLPError SLPSetProperties(SLPAttributes attr)

because:

* The application programmar is no longer required to convert all values
to and from strings on getting/setting. 
* Properties have types (notably string, boolean, and integer), using an
attribute object to represent them allows simple verification, etc. 
* Code reuse.

e