Subject: rechartering SVRLOC

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:59:13 +0200 (MET DST)

There has been overwhelming support (no one dissenting) for
rechartering SVRLOC.  I believe those actively and publicly
implementing SLPv2 have been supportive of the effort to
advance SLPv2 to draft standard.  Now is the time to step
forward and volunteer for active (rather than sidelines)
support.

There are two important things we need to do to recharter.
First - create a set of concrete goals and milestones.
Second - find volunteers willing to do the work.

I suggest the goals for SRVLOC2 (I say we change the WG
name, too, to make it clear this is a new effort) should
be:

  Advance SLPv2 to Draft Standard

  SLPv2 [RFC 2608] has been implemented by several parties.  There
  is broad interest in some minor revisions as part of an effort to
  advance the specification to Draft Standard status.

    Submit 2608bis to the IESG for advancement to Draft Standard
    Submit 2614bis to the IESG for advancement to Informational

Work:

  [1] Cochair the SRVLOC2 WG
      volunteers: Erik Guttman [and <your name here>, I could use help!]

  [2] Write the new charter document
      volunteers: Erik Guttman

  [3] Write 2608bis drafts
      volunteers: Erik Guttman and James Kempf

  [4] Write 2614bis drafts
      volunteers:  James Kempf [and <your name here>]

  [5] Write test plan for RFC 2608 interoperability
      volunteers: <your name here>

  [6] Write Implementation Report
      See http://www.ietf.org/IESG/implementation.html and rfc 2026
      volunteers: <your name here>

  [7] Dedicated reviewers of 2608bis and 2614bis
      volunteers: <your name here>

  [8] Interoperability workshop hosting
      End Nov - Begin Dec 2000 sometime: Sun Microsystems
      Spring-Summer 2001: <your name here>

Remarks:

There is a lot of work to do and I want to be confident that we have
the resources to do it before requesting that we get rechartered by
the IESG.

In particular, we have to show that *all features* of SLPv2 can be
shown to interoperate between at least two independent implementations.
That doesn't mean that every feature is supported by the two, but that
we can build a matrix like this:

                    Feature #1     Feature #2    ...    Feature #N   
                 +--------------+--------------+-----+--------------+
  Interoperation |     A,B      |  A,B,C,D,E   | ... |   B,C,E,F    |
  Demonstrated   +--------------+--------------+-----+--------------+

The letters are separate implementations.  The features are a very
thorough list of every feature in 2608bis.  Creating the list, the
test plan and the final Implementation Report are vital and very
difficult tasks.  Who volunteers?  

Another very important question is who plans to (or has already)
implemented SLP authentication?  Sun did this (but it is not currently
enabled in our product).  We need at least one other implementation
to satisfy RFC 2026 and move to Draft Standard.

Lastly and *MOST IMPORTANTLY* we need to have dedicated reviewers of
rfc2608bis (and 2614bis) in order to proceed.  To make this easier,
new drafts will contain a list of sections and text changed, in a
change history - so that reviewers won't have to read the entire doc
over and over.  But I want reassurance that there will be rapid expert
feedback on the drafts.  In the past, SLP specifications did not get
reviewed fast and deeply enough.  In order to recharter, we have to
do better.

When should we target getting 2608bis and 2614bis done by?

Erik