Subject: RE: java implementation of slp programming interfaces

From: "Braddy, Rick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:56:28 -0500

hope this helps

Rick

-------------

"We have implemented mSLP in Java2. We release it as a free software. Please
read our Copyright announcement first. If you accept it, you can download
this mSLP release (Updated on 10/09/00). It includes the mSLP source code
and its documentation"

This is the draft of a proposed enhancement to SLP (document attached, or at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhao-slp-da-interaction-08.txt ).
They are calling it, "Mesh-enhanced Service Location Protocol.  Author's
project page: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~zwb/project/slp/

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 5:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: java implementation of slp programming interfaces

friends--

I have been asked to determine if it's possible to obtain an implementation
of
SLPv2 with a Java programming interface that may be deployed on Solaris 2.6.

I have been searching various web resources all afternoon and have come up
completely empty-handed.  I now turn to the SVRLOC working group list of
help.
I would prefer not to have to code a JNI shim for Mini-SLP (or a complete
native
Java implementation) just because I have coders who hate Perl and C.  I am
not
myself a Java programmer, and neither is anyone else on my staff.

Are there any commercial or non-commercial products I should review?

--
j h woodyatt <[email-masked]>
coder, foundation software
enron broadband switching systems

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:14:38 -0700

>project page: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~zwb/project/slp/

The copyright appears not to permit my employers to use it for commercial
purposes.  This is a showstopper for me, since  I have a commercial application
in mind.

> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
> and its documentation for not-for-profit research and educational
> purposes and without fee is hereby granted [...]

<sigh/>