Subject: plan going forward ?

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:26:15 +0200 (MET DST)

To move forward, we need a list of tasks, volunteers and realistic
goals for completing them.

I think there is interest to move forward and people committed to do
the work for rechartering the SVRLOC WG.  The goals seem to be:

 - Revise SLPv2 [RFC 2608] to move to Draft Standard.  
 - Revise SLPv2 API [RFC 2614] to correct some flaws and maybe add 
   some additional features.
 - Update SLPv2 DHC options [RFC 2610] to the extent it is not clear.

Work items for the group include:

 - Chairing and coordinating the working group activities.

   Mikael Pahmp of Axis Communications has volunteered to cochair 
   the rechartered SVRLOC WG.  I will continue on as cochair.

 - Interoperability testing.  

   This is not strictly a WG activity, but completion of a successful
   interoperability test and writing up an implementation report is
   required to advance a protocol to draft standard.

   Volunteer needed:  Write interop test plan for SLPv2
   Volunteer needed:  Write and submit implemenatation report to IESG

   Keep in mind:  We need to test all features.  This includes features
   which are not widely implemented (to my knowledge) like:

     - SLP authentication blocks
     - DHC support for SLP
     - MADCAP configuration for SLP
     - SLPv2 Extensions (at least do not break implementations)

 - Writing documents

   Document editor/author for SLPv2bis:  Erik Guttman, James Kempf
   Any additional volunteers?

   Document editor/author for SLP APIbis: James Kempf
   Any additional volunteers?

 - Milestones

   When should we aim at finishing SLPv2bis?
   Completing the revised API spec?
   Completing interop testing and the implementation report?

Erik

._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
E r i k   G u t t m a n         SHORT msgs: [email-masked]
Sr Staff Engineer, Sun Microsystems       Email: [email-masked]
Eichhoelzelstr. 7, 74915 Waibstadt Germany    Phone: +49 172 865 5497

Un vieux Sphinx ignore' du monde insoucieux,      
Oublie' sur la carte, et donc l'humeur farouche   Spleen et Ide'al, 
Ne chante qu'aux rayons du soleil qui se couche.  LXXVI.  Baudelaire