Subject: Re: SVRLOC WG IMPORTANT: SLPv2 next step?

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:56:15 -0700 (PDT)

During the implementation of the SLPv2 DA for Solaris, we decided to do
an optimized version to improve performance. The `!' operator required
an additional table in the optimzed database for the DA. 

Like I said, there are probably better ways to do the implementation but
I still think that the primary code burden of implementing `!' is in
the database backend and not in the parsing code.

		jak 

>X-Authentication-Warning: wicked.neato.org: majordom set sender to 
[email-masked] using -f
>Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:31:58 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Evan Hughes <[email-masked]>
>To: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
>cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: SVRLOC WG IMPORTANT:  SLPv2 next step?
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>
>On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, James Kempf wrote:
>...
>> The issue with ! is not the parsing code, but the evaluation code.
>> My experience is that it requires a whole additional table in the
>> database in order to get optimized operation.
>
>How does a database fit in?
>
>e
>

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:04:40 +0200 (MET DST)

> Evan Hughes wrote:

> the database backend and not in the parsing code.

Evan, 

What Jim means by database is not a full on RDBMS back end, but rather
the in-memory and on-disk state representing the set of services and
their attributes.  It is against this state that queries are applied.
To do efficient lookups you have to index the service state.  Jim found
that '!' required special handling (an additional index).

Erik

ps. Jim, apologies for explaining your explanation :-)