Subject: RE: SLP 'printer:' template

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:04:00 -0800

Hi Matt,

All of the IANA registered SLP templates (those which have been
approved by the IETF designated expert, Erik Guttman, IETF SLP WG
chair) are in a directory in the primary IETF RFC server at:

    ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/svrloc-templates/

The SLP 'printer:' v2.0 is in the file:

    printer.2.0.en

It is _important_ NOT to implement the 'printer.1.0.en' template,
because many of the attribute names (taken from the IPP/1.0 spec
in RFC 25656/2566) were improperly scoped (i.e., did NOT begin
with 'printer-...').  When Pat Fleming (IBM) and I converted the
SLP 'printer:' template to the LDAP Printer Schema, we found this
problem and corrected it (in SLP 'printer:' v2.0).

A durable URL to the original full text of the final I-D of the
SLP 'printer:' v2.0 is at the PWG HTTP/FTP server at:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_SLP/

in the file:

    draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-06.txt (8 March 2000)

The final I-D of the equivalent LDAP Printer Schema is at:

    ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

in the file:

    draft-ietf-ipp-ldap-printer-schema-03.txt (4 August 2000)

Boy I wish I could give you examples of properly constructed
registrations.  I've forwarded your note to the SLP WG list,
in hopes that some of the folks who HAVE built implementations
can answer that one for you.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Sharp and Xerox
  High North Inc
  503-231-6551 (work/home in Portland, OR until April 2001)

PS - feel free to call me on the phone and chat or ask questions

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Peterson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 9:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SLP 'printer:' template

Ira,

I have been searching the web looking for the SLP printer template.  I
am currently adding SLP support to CUPS (http://www.cups.org) to be used
in conjunction with OpenSLP (http://www.openslp.org).  I want to be sure
to make the SLP registrations in a way that will be compatible with
future SLP aware devices and clients.

Can you please direct me to the the latest 'printer:' template as well
as give me a few examples of properly constructed registrations.

Thanks,

Matt
 
--
Matthew Peterson
Sr. Software Engineer
Caldera Systems, Inc
[email-masked]

---

From: Matt Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 17:40:49 -0700

> can answer that one for you.

Thanks, I've found the template and have used it in my patch for CUPS. 
One question...  Why does the printer template require the use of such
ridiculously long attribute tags? 
'printer-generated-natural-language-supported' and other equally long
tags seem just a little too long for a protocol that attempts to
meaningfull fit information into a 1400 byte datagrams :-(

-- 
Matthew Peterson
Sr. Software Engineer
Caldera Systems, Inc
[email-masked]