Subject: Re: New Drafts

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:06:44 -0800 (PST)

Matt,
>
>I see how a 1 to 1 mapping between url and type resolves my concern, but
>what I don't understand is how any sort of 1 to 1 mapping between url
>and type can be enforced.  
>
>For example what should a DA do if it already has a registration as
>specified above (URL = "ftp://ftp.acme.com" SrvType =
>"service:file-server") and receives another SrvReg with
>URL=ftp://ftp.acme.com and SrvType="service:ftp".  Should the DA add the
>new registration to its internal database or reject it because it
>conflicts with another registration (i.e. breaks the one to 1 to 1
>correlation between URL and type)?
>
>If the registration is rejected what error code is returned and how can
>developers be expected know what was previously registered so as to
>avoid "ambiguous registration" errors?  If the registration is allowed
>in the database, what should happen on receipt of a SrvDereg with
>URL="ftp://ftp.acme.com"?  How does the DA know which registration to
>remove from its internal database, or does it remove both?   No, it can
>not remove both with out "cheating" one of the registrars and the DA
>can't just remove one registration because it does not know which one to
>remove.
>

What the DA does is the same thing it does whenever it receives a new
registration that replaces an old. It fully deregisters ftp://ftp.acme.com
under the service type service:file-server and performs the new registration
of ftp://ftp.acme.com under the service type service:ftp.

		jak