Subject: Bluetooth and SLP

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 08:39:40 -0800 (PST)

Folks,

I've heard that the Bluetooth consortium is working on a new profile
that uses SLP instead of their proprietary service discovery protocol.
Unfortunately, it's a bit difficult to get information about Bluetooth
developments, so there's not much more on it. It would be really
great if we could get some feedback from the Bluetooth consortium
about what they would like to see going forward to proposed standard.

		jak

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:26:57 -0700

Hi James, et al.

I am the current chair of the Bluetooth Extended Service Discovery Profiles
(ESDP) Working Group (and a srvloc lurker) and I can tell you that we are not
working on an SLP profile at the moment. The proprietary service discovery
mechanism, the service discovery protocol (SDP), is still being used by in the
new profiles for identifying the existence of "extended" service discovery
mechanisms.  The current SDP is limited to discovery only and the ESDP working
group was formed to map existing service discovery and location technologies
(for example SLP, Jini, UPnP, Salutation) to Bluetooth to provide for richer
functionality.

To date work has been done on mapping UPnP and Salutation to Bluetooth.

Let me know if there is additional information you would like and I will provide
you with what I can legally (the Bluetooth SIG has funny IPR rules so I would
have to work within those).

Best Regards,

Ned

James Kempf <[email-masked]> on 01/04/2001 09:39:40 AM

Please respond to James Kempf <[email-masked]>

Sent by:  James Kempf <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (Ned Plasson/MTN/US/3Com)
Subject:  Bluetooth and SLP

Folks,

          jak

---

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:35:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ned,

OK thanx for the correction. 

		jak

>From: [email-masked]
>X-Lotus-FromDomain: 3COM
>To: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
>cc: [email-masked]
>Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:26:57 -0700
>Subject: Re: Bluetooth and SLP
>Mime-Version: 1.0
>Content-Disposition: inline
>
>
>
>Hi James, et al.
>