Subject: SVRLOC charter complete, work goes on

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 07:46:32 -0800 (PST)

Folks,

The internet draft draft-ietf-svrloc-ipv6-11.txt has been accepted
to go standards track RFC.  With the publication of this draft
as an RFC (which will take a few weeks, in the RFC editor's queue)
it will be time to close the working group.

Completing the charter of a working group is a good thing for the
devlelopment of an IETF standard.  The work on the protocol will
continue (through interoperability tests, enhancements and even
standards track documents revising the protocol.)  All of this
can be done as individual submissions - not requiring a working
group.  We have been in this mode for the past two years and made
good progress.

If in the future we wish to recharter a working group, we will
go through the normal steps and procedures of the IETF.  It is 
time to declare success and allow the IETF to retire the SVRLOC
WG.

The mailing list will continue to be the place where real work
gets discussed and actions get taken.

Thanks,

Erik Guttman
SVRLOC WG chair