Subject: recap SLPv2bis discussion

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:20:49 +0100 (MET)

I want to find out where we were on the SLPv2bis discussion last Autumn.
Let's try to finish up the to-do list and then start an actual SLPv2bis
spec.  

If I understand - this much we've agreed to:

 - Eliminate AttrRqst by type.
 - Eliminate wildcards in AttrRqst search filters.
 - Recommend support for mesh SLP enhancement in SAs and DAs.
 - Change scope configuration rules as per 
   draft-guttman-svrloc-slpv2bis-01.txt
 - Eliminate SrvDereg tag list support (no incremental deregistration)
 - Eliminate requirement to elide white space in string matching
 - DAs SHOULD remain backward compatible to RFC 2608 features

This much we have only rough consensus on:

 - Simplify Service Request filters.  Eliminate support for '!' filter.
   (At first we talked about deprecating '|' and arbitrary nesting,
   but that position has no more defenders.)
 - Create new SLP error code - SEARCH FILTER FEATURE NOT SUPPORTED
 - PR list support RECOMMENDED (no longer required)

Under discussion:

 - change interpretation of service URLs to allow the use of service:id 
   so as to simplify rediscovery of the same service (after renumbering,
   say) and discovery of services which have multiple locations.

Does this look like a complete list to everyone?

Erik

._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
E r i k   G u t t m a n         SHORT msgs: [email-masked]
Sr Staff Engineer, Sun Microsystems       Email: [email-masked]
Eichhoelzelstr. 7, 74915 Waibstadt Germany    Phone: +49 172 865 5497

---

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:44:09 -0800 (PST)

Hi Erik,

Re. Matt's email on SLPv2APIbis, I believe there was some discussion to
deprecate the fresh bit on SrvReg as well, to completely remove
incremental registration and deregistration.

		jak

>X-Authentication-Warning: wicked.neato.org: majordom set sender to 
[email-masked] using -f
>Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:20:49 +0100 (MET)
>From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
>Subject: recap SLPv2bis discussion
>To: [email-masked]
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>