Subject: RE: SVRLOC charter complete, work goes on

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:47:45 -0600

Hi,

Does this mean that you will not be meeting at the 50th IETF?  I'm new to
the mailing list and wanted to attend your 49th meeting in San Diego, but it
was not on the agenda.  I'm assuming from your e-mail that the mailing list
works just fine, all the work is done here and that is great.  I've read RFC
2608.

Also, the web site lists milestones from 1997, that you have completed, but
don't say that they are done.  Is there some other Web site that I should
look at that is more up to date?

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/svrloc-charter.html

-- maureen

Maureen Stillman
Nokia
Member of Scientific Staff             Voice: (607)273-0724 x62
Internet Commerce Enhancement  Fax: (607)275-3610
127 W. State Street                     Mobile: (607)227-2933
Ithaca, NY 14850
e-mail: [email-masked]
www.nokia.com

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Erik Guttman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 10:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: SVRLOC charter complete, work goes on

Folks,

The internet draft draft-ietf-svrloc-ipv6-11.txt has been accepted
to go standards track RFC.  With the publication of this draft
as an RFC (which will take a few weeks, in the RFC editor's queue)
it will be time to close the working group.

Completing the charter of a working group is a good thing for the
devlelopment of an IETF standard.  The work on the protocol will
continue (through interoperability tests, enhancements and even
standards track documents revising the protocol.)  All of this
can be done as individual submissions - not requiring a working
group.  We have been in this mode for the past two years and made
good progress.

If in the future we wish to recharter a working group, we will
go through the normal steps and procedures of the IETF.  It is 
time to declare success and allow the IETF to retire the SVRLOC
WG.

The mailing list will continue to be the place where real work
gets discussed and actions get taken.

Thanks,

Erik Guttman
SVRLOC WG chair

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:36:40 -0800 (PST)

> http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/svrloc-charter.html

Maureen,

The SVRLOC WG has not met since IETF 45.  We completed SLPv2 in 1999
and since then have been working on extensions and toward a minor 
revision of the protocol for moving to SLPv2 to Draft Standard status.

All milestones have been completed - indeed the working group charter
page is woefully out of date.

Our milestones should look like:

1993  Open discussion and determine if a working group should be formed. 

1994  Continue discussion trying to refine the problem statement and
      possible resolutions. 

6/97  Issue a standards track protocol specification for the Service
      Location Protocol (SLPv1)

1998  Define an authentication mechanism for Service Location. 
 
6/99  Issue a revised standards track protocol for SLP with authentication
      clarifications and corrections (SLPv2)

6/99  Issue a standards track RFC describing service templates and 
      service: URL schemes.

6/99  Issue an informational RFC describing the SLP API.

10/00 Issue an informational RFC describing conversion from and to
      LDAP schema from SLP service templates.

?/01  Issue a standars track RFC describing the additional requirements
      for SLPv2 over IPv6.  (The date is unsure because the draft has to
      be issued as an RFC and this will require an unspecified period of
      waiting time in the RFC editor's waiting queue.)

This is the real chronology, as far as I know.  I became involved in 
the SVRLOC WG in 1995 and began as the chairman at the end of 1996.

It is important to note that work is ongoing in the SLP area.  There
are a number of efforts which are making good progress:

  draft-guttman-svrloc-attrlist-ext-05.txt has been reviewed by
    the SVRLOC WG, IESG and gone through IETF last call.  It will
    be issued as a standards track RFC.

  draft-guttman-svrloc-vendor-ext-03.txt has been reviewed by the
    working group and is in the IESG's hands.  There are issues 
    yet to be worked out, but it is intended that this document
    proceed as a standards track RFC.

  draft-guttman-svrloc-slpv2bis-01.txt is the basis for discussion of
    a modified SLPv2 protocol for moving forward to Draft Standard
    status.

  draft-kempf-srvloc-notify-05.txt  has received extensive working
    group review and is in the IESG's hands, with the request from
    the working group that it be issued as an Experimental RFC.

  draft-zhao-slp-da-interaction-09.txt has received extensive working
    group review (it has gone through WG last call) and has gone back
    to the authors with comments.  It is intended that this work go
    forward as a proposed standard RFC.

  draft-day-svrloc-exclusion-00.txt has received some working group
    review. This document is intended to go forward as an experimental
    rfc.  It would allow much more scalable multicast convergence for
    discovery in environments without DAs.

All of these efforts are individual contributions.  Although I will
no longer be the working group chair, I will assist the authors of 
these documents to see their work through to publication in any way
I can.  I anticipate there will be

Regards,

Erik