Subject: How small can an SLP UA and SA be?

From: "Mayer, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:25:48 -0500

I'm curious as to how small an implementation of SLP can be, particularly in
embedded applications.  In particular, I'm trying to get a feel for the
following:

(1) the minimum footprint size of an SLP UA.
(2) the minimum footprint size of an SLP SA.

Obviously footprint depends on lots of things (instruction sets, features,
etc.), but I'm just fishing around for a ballpark number.

Any ideas?

-- Jim Mayer
Xerox Corporation

---

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:28:42 -0800 (PST)

>(1) the minimum footprint size of an SLP UA.

We did a Java-based SLP UA that ran around 7-10K of binary, exclusive
of strings. It did SrvRqst and that was it, but it did handle
DAs and multicast convergence properly.

>(2) the minimum footprint size of an SLP SA.

Our SA was a bit larger, around 15K. It handled only a single service
type, and only the minimal message set (namely SrvRqst). But it handled
passive adverts and active discovery.

		jak