Subject: Re: Applications with SLP ?

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:24:47 -0700

>And excute the command?  Then its known as late binding for service
>requests, definitely a good thing to do when we live ina pervasive
>world.
>

Yes, that's the idea. It might also cache the executable locally, if
it had to be fetched off a remote file server or out of a database.

>ps Quick introduction as to why I'm on the list at this late stage -
>I'm looking at using SLP as the glue for active/programmable
>services/networks (delete to make uizzword of your choice), and seeing 
>how SLP can  scale administratively in terms of management of policy
>implementation as well as over numbers of services.

Interesting. Novell has been using SLP internally on their networks
for a number of years, so we have some indication of scalability.

		jak

---

From: Ganesan Rajagopal <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Mar 2001 20:16:24 +0530

>>>>> "James" == James Kempf <[email-masked]> writes:

> for a number of years, so we have some indication of scalability.

And speaking from experience don't ever run SLP without a DA in a production
network. I have heard many of our customers dreading SLP multicast traffic
like they used to fear SAP broadcasts in IPX. DAs with properly configured
scopes are necessary for scalability.

Ganesan

-- 
R. Ganesan ([email-masked])       | Ph: 91-80-5731856 Ext: 2149
Novell India Development Center.       | #include <std_disclaimer.h>

---

From: Bob Bohanek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:55:05 -0600

> scopes are necessary for scalability.

Being on the implementation side, I will second this.  Without a DA, SLP
becomes a subject as taboo as IPX or AppleTalk.  In addition, the fear of
getting UA replies from the thousands of printers on some of the larger
networks yields a nice "deer in the headlights" look.

I remember a while back a conversation with someone in Internet2 as to
mulitcast being enabled between members?  Does anyone on the list know if
this is still the case, and are any problems cropping up from the SLP-aware
clients on those networks?

As to the applications with SLP, I can think of plenty of new and
interesting things that could bolt onto SLP as a service discovery.  What
about small to medium workgroups that have instant messaging capabality?
The IM app adverts as a service to a properly configured DA, or some
presence server adverts to the DA.  This then becomes the way that other IM
apps find each other for the workgroup.

Slainte,
Bob
*******************************************************************
Robert Bohanek, USNA '90 (SS)
Systems Engineer, Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: [email-masked]

snail mail:
15050 Cedar Ave. South #116, Box 315
Apple Valley, MN  55124

Phone:
(651) 463-3497 (work)

Apple Web Sites:
http://www.apple.com
http://www.apple.com/education (Education Home Page)

"I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself."
D.H. Lawrence - Self Pity

-----BEGIN PGP BLOCK-----

Bob's Public PGP key can be found at:
http://homepage.mac.com/bohanek/bohanek.asc

-----END PGP BLOCK-----
------BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1+
GE/GJ/GIT d s: a C+++$ UL+ UX P+> L+ E W+++ N++ w M++$ PS+ PE+ Y++ PGP++ t+
5++ X++ tv++ b+++ DI++++ UF+++ D++ G+ e++++ h--- r+++ y+++
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
*******************************************************************