Subject: Re: Applications with SLP ?

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:20:54 -0700

Matt had some very practical ideas that I think would be great to work on.
There are plenty of others, like advertising remote file systems, or
for example, having a Linux boot server use SLP to advertise and the
install clients to find the boot server.

Another area that would be extremely interesting if you want to actually
do system software work on SLP itself is integrating SLP with LDAP. 
Take the OpenSource SLP DA and write a back end that goes to an LDAP server, 
based on RFC 2926. Or implement the SLP notification extension (about to be 
announced) for OpenSource SLP.

Something more on the research side that I've been thinking about for
a while is pushing a service model for program execution. Typically,
the program execution environment (shell) uses a list of pathnames to
determine where to find executables. One can view a command to execute
a program as an invocation of a service with the command line
arguments being attribute/value pairs. SLP could be used to find the
service executable. 

I don't know how useful or practical this is, it may simply be a wild
idea with no value, but it is something I've thought about off and on.

		jak
>hi ,
>   My name is Murthy.I and Balaji are working on SLP.Can you please be
>more specific in your listing of the applications that SLP can
>support.Presently our knowledge about network services that SLP supports
>is only confined to devices like printers,fax machines etc.Could you
>please suggest any new and interesting network services.
>      Any suggestion in this regard is welcome.
>       Thanks in advance.
>
>
>
>

---

From: Ian Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 07:09:00 +0000 (GMT)

>>>>> "James" == James Kempf <[email-masked]> writes:

    James> Something more on the research side that I've been thinking
    James> about for a while is pushing a service model for program
    James> execution. Typically, the program execution environment
    James> (shell) uses a list of pathnames to determine where to find
    James> executables. One can view a command to execute a program as
    James> an invocation of a service with the command line arguments
    James> being attribute/value pairs. SLP could be used to find the
    James> service executable.

And excute the command?  Then its known as late binding for service
requests, definitely a good thing to do when we live ina pervasive
world.

cheers
ian

ps Quick introduction as to why I'm on the list at this late stage -
I'm looking at using SLP as the glue for active/programmable
services/networks (delete to make uizzword of your choice), and seeing 
how SLP can  scale administratively in terms of management of policy
implementation as well as over numbers of services.