Subject: Extensions to SLP

From: Balaji Meruva <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:14:43 -0800 (PST)

Hello
      We are graduate students at University of
Kansas, Lawrence. We are working on Service Location
Protocol(SLP) for our course work. We will be very
grateful if you can suggest any further Extensions to
the existing features of SLP.

Thanking you in anticipation
Balaji Meruva

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. 
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

---

From: Matt Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:38:25 -0700

> Thanking you in anticipation

How about actual use of SLP in real life applications instead of
continuous extension...   Do you want specific suggestions of
applications that could benefit greatly by being SLP enabled?

-- 
Matthew Peterson
Sr. Software Engineer
Caldera Systems, Inc
[email-masked]

---

From: jmg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:45:01 +0100

Hello,
I'm new to SLP environment and Balaji raises a very interesting question

How about actual use of SLP in real life applications ?

Should we re-write any application with the API of SLP ? Such
applications already exist ?

/jean-mick

---

From: Praveen Kumar Amritaluru <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:26:02 +0530 (IST)

> applications already exist ?

	To make  existing  application  SLP-enabled  the code  has to be
	modified  both on the server and  client  side  (atleast  on the
	client side).

	The client has to  incorporate  changes in its part of code that
	performs  the work of an User Agent which may include  Discovery
	of Services available, finding the attributes of the service and
	its URL etc.

	Similary  the server has to  incorporate  changes in its part of
	code that performs the task of Service Agent which will normally
	include registration of its service URL when the server comes up
	and deregistration of its service URL when it goes down.

	Currently SLP  implementations  come with apis that are provided
	to  help  client  and  server   perform   this  task.  For  more
	information about the apis you can look at RFC2614.

Praveen

-- 
==============================================================================
Praveen Kumar Amritaluru                 Phone (Off) : (91)(80)2251554 x 1306
HP India Software Operations             Telnet      : 847-1306
Bangalore 560 052
India.
==============================================================================

---

From: "ebenezer schubert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:58:10 -0800

Hi,

    Applications will have to be re-written to be able
    to use SLP. SLP provides a set of APIs to do
    this.

   Some of the examples would be a pop client
   using SLP to find out where pop servers are.
   There are others like IMAP, NFS, ntp, etc.

    Hope this helps.

-ebi

---

From: Evan Hughes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:35:00 -0500 (EST)

>     to use SLP. SLP provides a set of APIs to do

  Not true. Existing client applications only need some form of SLP-aware
proxy that will do service location for them, and then invoke them once
the service has been found. 

  Existing server apps are a little more complex. 

e