Subject: Re: SA daemon

From: James Kempf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 09:53:28 -0700 (PDT)

>I have not looked at the Solaris SLP daemon, but it sounds like it uses
>normal SLPv2 messages for "IPC".  Is this right?
>

Yes, that's correct.

>OpenSLP also uses normal SLPv2 messages for "IPC" between slpd (the SLP
>daemon) and process that are compiled against libslp.so.  "IPC" messages
>are sent to port 427 of the loopback address which is being listened on
>by slpd.
>

That is how the Solaris SLP daemon works as well.

>For registration libslp.so simply builds a SrvReg message and sends it
>to port 427 of the loopback device and waits for the SrvAck.
>
>OpenSLP's libslp.so should be completely compatible with any SA SLP
>Daemon that listens on loopback port 427.  I'm surprised to see that the
>-13 is returned.  It suggests that there is either a bug in OpenSLP's
>libslp.so or Sun's daemon.
>
>Sean, it looks like you have a couple options... Run OpenSLP's slpd on
>Solaris (it is reported to work well),  or recompile slptool against the
>Sun's libslp.so
>

One issue is the service type and scopes used to obtain DA information
from the daemon. As I mentioned, these are internal to the machine
in Solaris SLP. I don't think that should be causing the -13 error,
however, since Sean was doing a SrvReg and that doesn't require
any DA information client side.

It would be helpful to have more information on this, as Matt has
suggested. There may be some simple bug on either side that
could be easily fixed.

		jak