Subject: RE: Question on libslp.so shared library file

From: "Diane Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 12:12:17 -0700

Hello,

I am relatively new to SLP and I am trying to understand some of the implementation issues.  I am trying to use the Mini SLP version 1.1 on Windows 2000. However I see from the notes that I need to set an environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH with the location of libslp.so.  I can't seem to find this library file in the win32 files, is it really required? If it is where is it? or am I just missing something.

I tried running mslplib_testagent and got the following error after the DA Discovery and initialization message ;
 ERR: W32GetMutex:  Could not obtain client mutex
 .........mslplib_testagent initialization complete.

What does the above mean?

Thanks for your help

Diane

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 13:59:37 +0200 (MET DST)

Diane,

> I am relatively new to SLP and I am trying to understand some of the
> implementation issues.  I am trying to use the Mini SLP version 1.1 on
> Windows 2000. 

There is a difference between SLP and 'mini SLP':  The mini SLP 
implementation is just a reference implementation for experimentation,
testing and so on.  You will learn something about implementation of
SLP by studying it and working with it, but there are other (more
complete and refined) implementations available.

The rest of this concerns mini-slp - which may not be of interest to
readers of srvloc.org.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mini SLPv2 v1.1 runs on Windows, but it doesn't make use of the
environment (mslpd doesn't run under the service manager, doesn't
use the event logger, doesn't use the registry, etc.)

> However I see from the notes that I need to set an environment
> variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH with the location of libslp.so.  I can't seem to
> find this library file in the win32 files, is it really required? If it is
> where is it? or am I just missing something.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH has to be set for the Solaris and Linux versions, so
the execution will use the right dynamic loaded library.  On Windows
the execution path will have to have the mslp.dll in it (this is the
equivalent configuration for Windows).

> What does the above mean?

If you run mslpd, the 'service state' is managed by this daemon.
If you run a client application, like mslplib_testagent first, it
will not be able to access this state, for update purposes.  What
you are seeing is diagnostic output from mslplib_testagent (a test 
shell/driver application).  I'm sorry the documentation is not clear
on this point - I will update it in the next release. 

Let me know if you have any other questions or issues.  Please send
me mail directly (not to the srvloc.org list).

Regards,

Erik