Subject: [SWMP] Media Machines' initial design and code

From: "Jay C. Weber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:14:39 -0700

I'd like to point the group to Media Machines' initial work towards SWMP.

We presented an overview paper at the Web3D 2007 Symposium, which you 
can find at http://www.mediamachines.com/hydra/swampweb3d2007.pdf

We implemented a protocol library in C (links with C or C++, potentially 
as a native method module), and built a basic server and a reference 
client, all open-source.  This is all available for download and 
experimentation, described at http://www.mediamachines.com/hydra/

Also as described at the above link, we added support for the draft X3D 
networking nodes from the Web3D Networking working group, to our Flux 
Player.  And, we built an X3D layer to handle dynamic avatar 
instantiation for players that support the networking nodes.

jay

_______________________________________________
SWMP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/swmp

---

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:10:50 +0800

Thanks Jay, this is a great start.

>From a recent discussion I had with others, including IETF member Cullen
Jennings (who had a lot of great high level input), I think we will be
eventually looking at multiple protocols. That is, at leasts two: high
bandwidth, secure protocol over tcp/ip, short payload, low latency protocol
over udp. And we may even be looking at different protocols for
server-server, client-server and client-client for ultimate scalable system.
So, I think experimenting with and developing SWMP is going to provide
valuable real-world input to the process of developing one of these
protocols - which is probably the main one of interest atm, but the work
will likely lead into the development of future associated protocols.

On the practical front, I have managed to compile hydras for both windows
and linux and the local test works on my winxp client. Still trying to get
it to work accessing the remote linux server, but that should be working
soon - it might just be a matter of the port being blocked.

cheers,

chris

-- 
http://ping.com.au
http://systemic.com.au
http://planet-earth.org/Rez/RezIndex.html
--
It be a great secret: there be more truth at the centre.
_______________________________________________
SWMP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/swmp