Subject: [T2TRG] Prague T2TRG meeting: July 18/19

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:06:59 +0200

I'm writing from the W3C IG WoT (Web of Things) meeting in Munich, which
just ended.  We had a discussion about the need for cooperation between
IETF/IRTF and W3C on the common subjects of IoT/WoT.  Without trying to
summarize the entire discussion here (I'm sure there will be minutes),
it seems there are at least two areas where some immediate interaction
between the two groups will be of common benefit:

1) Interaction patterns.  How do the various nodes and entities in an
IoT/WoT environment interact?  Which of these patterns are covered by
REST as implemented in the two HTTP protocols and in CoAP, and how well?
 Where are gaps?  (There is probably little point dwelling too much in
solution space here, but solutions that come with clean architectural
styles are of interest.)  While the IETF doesn't usually deal in APIs,
some common effort in describing the interaction elements in APIs
(including browser APIs) will help.

2) Security that enables these interaction patterns.  One example is
browser support for REST, which is currently more limited than one would
want for reasons of lack of security.  Security models that derive
security properties implicitly and based on assumptions (which may be
more valid in one domain than in another) get in the way (say,
same-origin as implicit authorization).  If explicit security, as e.g.
enabled by ACE, becomes more available, what can be simplified, and what
additional powers do we gain?

The next face-to-face meeting of W3C IG WoT is being planned in the US,
for similar reasons that we had our first meeting in the US (rotating
regional coverage).  Nonetheless, we are looking to set up a meeting in
Prague that is sponsored both by the W3C IG and the IRTF RG, on the two
days before IETF93: Saturday 18th/Sunday 19th of July.  The main focus
of that meeting will be on the above two areas, but that of course
doesn't rule out other subjects, in particular if they can be of
interest to both IG and RG.  So, please save the date, and do follow up
with specific topics you want to contribute to in that meeting.

Grüße, Carsten