Subject: [T2TRG] Fwd: [Lwip] IoT Performance Measurements

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 17:05:01 +0200

Dear T2TRG,

I thought that this effort might be interesting to some of you. I posted
it to the LWIG mailing list since this was the place where we started
some of these performance discussions.

If you have some time to contribute please let me/us know.

Ciao
Hannes

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Lwip] IoT Performance Measurements
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 17:02:39 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked], Malisa VUCINIC <[email-masked]>

Hi Rafa, Hi Malisa, Hi Pablo,
Hi all,

earlier this year I presented some performance results to the LWIG
working group and the details can be found at:
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/92/slides/slides-92-lwig-3.pdf

The idea of my presentation at the Dallas IETF meeting was to get some
others to enhance the performance investigations to provide others a
better idea of what they can expect when using state-of-the-art crypto
in IETF protocols as part of their IoT platform.

The results would be summarized in an IETF draft, such as in the TLS
minimal draft (see
https://tools.ietf.org/wg/lwig/draft-ietf-lwig-tls-minimal/).

Subsequently, I also worked with my co-worker Manuel on a submission to
the NIST lightweight cryptography workshop where we summarized our work.
Here is the link to the workshop:
http://www.nist.gov/itl/csd/ct/lwc_workshop2015.cfm

While it was difficult to find someone who is interested in doing some
performance analysis I luckily found some folks, which are on CC, who
said that they might be able to contribute some thoughts.

Malisa mentioned in the ACE working group meeting that he has done some
current consumption measurements.

Rafa has done some ECC measurements previously and those might give
additional data points.

Pablo has done performance measurements and was interested in spending
additional time on that subject. We had the chance to chat at the Prague
IETF meeting.

Here is what I believe we need:
  * Verification of the existing results.
  * More data from other crypto libraries (or even DTLS/TLS stacks).
  * Tests run on other hardware platforms (such as the Cortex M7).
  * Tests beyond performance, such as RAM usage, flash size, etc.
  * Tests that focus on other algorithms.

If would be great if folks could help with that or provide pointers if
they have already done some work. If you are interested please drop
me/us a message.

I am happy to talk about what we should /shouldn't investigate as part
of this exercise.

I am convinced that this data is useful for many engineers and
researchers. While most folks immediately want to create some new
algorithms I believe it is good to know how fast the currently available
algorithms are on modern IoT hardware.

Ciao
Hannes