Subject: Re: [T2TRG] T2TRG discovery session notes

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 09:28:42 -0400

Report from t2trg breakout session, 2017-03-27.

Thanks to Dominique Barthel for taking notes.

Topic: What problems need to be solved before I can transfer ownership
of IoT devices when I sell my house?

Summary/Conclusions:

1. IoT devices exist in a web of relationships and interconnections.
Some devices will be part of systems that stay with the house and,
therefore, must be transferred to the new owner, while other devices
will go with the old owner to a new residence.  Any configuration
state that links devices that will stay with the home with devices
that will leave must be cleared.  Similarly, any configuration state
that represents confidential information about the old owner must be
cleared.  There may be some parallels between the process for IoT
devices and familiar processes for transfer of utilities accounts, but
the scale of the interconnections will complicate the transfer process
for IoT devices.

2. The relationships among IoT devices may be mitigated by
controllers, where ownership and control of a set of IoT devices may
be managed through a single controller.  Similarly, cloud services may
allow transfer of ownership of an entire system of IoT devices through
a single interface.  The relationships may change dynamically; for
example, the IoT devices in an automobile may have a relationship with
devices in a home while parked at home, but then have a different
relationship while away from home.

3. The transfer can take place in one of two ways: as a direct
transfer from the old owner to the new owner or through a trusted
third party.  The transfer process must ensure that the new owner has
complete and exclusive authority over the devices.  Authority to
access the devices from external sources like a personal smart phone
must be revoked.  There may be parallels between transferring
ownership between owners and an initial transfer from manufacturer to
the first owner.

4. Other events, such as home rental, providing access to service
personnel or allowing one-time access for a delivery, will have
similar considerations.