Subject: [T2TRG] Extended Personal Media Networks (XPMN)

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 17:38:02 +0200

In the WISHI call today, I mentioned some work we were doing a decade ago on Extended Personal Media Networks (XPMN).
This general approach of constructing fine-grained applications-specific overlay networks is likely to become relevant again in the era of IoT jails, MUD, etc. — we may want to move on from XMPP as the control message channel though.

If you want to know all about XPMN:
https://elib.suub.uni-bremen.de/diss/docs/00011878.pdf

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 15:44:15 -0400

This is very presient work.  I read a few pages, and then put it on my
reading list for later on.

Ted pointed out to me in chat this morning that while we can keep IoT devices
From attacking each other when they are on modern wifi (where all traffic
is hairpinned through the AP), if the devices are wired, or are part of a
mesh, then the ability to restrict traffic patterns is lost.

It seems to me that we need IPIP overlays in (LLN) meshes.
It seems like the generosity of addressing bits in IPv6 networks might be
useful here.  And BIER can help keep the routing messages from getting
out of hand.... got any more PhD students? :-)

Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > In the WISHI call today, I mentioned some work we were doing a decade
    > ago on Extended Personal Media Networks (XPMN).  This general approach
    > of constructing fine-grained applications-specific overlay networks is
    > likely to become relevant again in the era of IoT jails, MUD, etc. — we
    > may want to move on from XMPP as the control message channel though.

    > _______________________________________________ T2TRG mailing list
    > [email-masked] https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/t2trg

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Thorsten Dahm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 12:43:14 +0100

> mesh, then the ability to restrict traffic patterns is lost.
SDN does allow you to do this.

cheers,
Thorsten

> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/t2trg
>

-- 
Thorsten Dahm

Network Engineer
Google Ireland Ltd.
The Gasworks, Barrow Street
Dublin 4,  Ireland

Registered in Dublin, Ireland
Registration Number: 368047

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 23:59:38 +0200

> SDN does allow you to do this. 

It's exciting to learn that SDN would allow a MUD controller in an openwrt
router using the Linux bridge utils (or even, using openvswitch), to reach
out to an unmanaged 10/100Mb/s 8-port desktop switch from 2003 and have it
turn off the normal cut-through switching that it does.